"Chaltura" San José de Chaltura by malianrob

San José de Chaltura Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 16 photos

Cuy Town :)

For many people Chaltura would be completely overlooked. It is on the road to Ibarra from Otavalo. There is a small sign on the main highway and a dirt road that you turn into. It is so small that you could easily miss it. From there you would drive up that road for about a mile and a half and we will see a larger sign that welcomes you to the town.
Why come here you might ask? Well Chaltura is known to raise cuys (guinie pig) and they are also known as the best place to eat them. Chaltura is known to serve the best tasting Cuy.

Beautiful countryside on the outskirts of the town of Chaltura.

Other than a handful of restaurants that serve cuy among other things, there is not much to do here or see. Every restaurant boasts that they serve the best cuy in town.

Check out my travelogue to see the pictures of the cuy.

• Pros:Where cuys are raised and cooked to your liking.
  • Cons:That might not be a good thing for some.
  • Last visit to San José de Chaltura: Dec 2006
  • Intro Written May 8, 2007

• Oct 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Hi, I loved your post about the cuy. I am writing an article about it, and would like to ask if I could use your picture. Do you have in high definition? I would be very happy to add your credits, and could also mention your blog in my social networks - twitter and facebook. Unfortunately I have to close the article tomorrow! My email is Lbcuisine@gmail.com tx a lot!! Luciana Bianchi

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2010 at 6:00 AM

I will defenitly try cuy when I visit Ecuador, at least once!

• roberto_teran's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Hi, Malia Valle Hermoso is a very precious restaurant I live in Chaltura and I can said, is a place to forget the city and you can feel the pure air, because there are too many forest, return soon, bye

• sparkie11's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Malia! those cuy pictures! OMG! I DONT THINK I COULD DO IT. Your brave! Idont even think Rob would do it!

malianrob

“The brave dont live forever, the cautious dont live at all.”

Badges & Stats in San José de Chaltura

Have you been to San José de Chaltura?

Latest Activity in San José de Chaltura