Isla Santa Cruz Things to Do Tips by malianrob
Isla Santa Cruz Things to Do: 38 reviews and 135 photos
These are also refered to as the craters. They are two sunken volcanic craters that you can see on the road that takes you from the ferry and the town of Puerto Ayora.
It is pretty interesting to see these but most of the time you will have to go with a guide or you wont be able to get too close. I asked the taxi driver why do we need a guide and he wasnt sure.
Bus loads of people come to see the craters.
Directions: 7 kilometers from the town of Santa Rosa.
After we went to Rancho Primisias to look at the turtles in the wild or taxi driver took us to The tunnels. They are tunnels formed from the lava. It was pretty interesting but I was alittle nervous at first. Our taxi driver Aureliano told us that there was a small section of the tunnels that we had to crawl through to get through. I wasnt too excited about that but after we did it, I realized that me and the kids had alot of fun. The crawling part wasnt too bad and it was only a very small section of the cave.
The hike throught the tunnels was only about 15 to 20 minutes so it wasnt too long at all.
Directions: Up in the high section of the island. Off the same road that you take to go to and from the airport and the town.
The Park is free and its a short walk from the center of town. Here you will get to see the Giant turtles. Like Lonesome George who is about 130 years old now or more. There are baby turtles and iguanas. Marine Iguanas and land iguanas.
You can also get a tour in English or Spanish. You will also get to see what they eat, how they live and how the islands were discovered. This is a great place to start if you are on this island.
Tortuga Bay is on the Southern part of the island. You can get to the entrance by taxi or walk like we did. Then you get to an area where you can only get to by foot. From there on it is a 2kilometer walk. It is a pretty long walk, especially in the heat of the islands. The hike is also not exactly a straight walk. It is alittle hilly and by the time you get to the beach, which is your final distination you will probably be exhausted.
Tortuga bay is beautiful. The sand is fine and white. The water is a beautiful clear blue. There is surfing on this part of the island and you can also see tons of crabs, iguanas and lizards.
For maor pictures of Tortuga Bay check out the traveloge
Directions: Southern part of the island near Puerto Ayora
Rancho Primisias is located on the high part of the island. People come here to check out the giant turtles that live in their natural habitat. There are thousands of turtles up in the high part of the island where it rains alot and the temperature is alot cooler.
If you are interested in looking at the Giant turtles this place is for you. You can see how the interact with eachother and how they eat and play in their pond.
Directions: You can either book a tour with any tour operator on the island or get a taxi, negotiate a price and have him/her take you to Rancho Primisias. Its pretty far to walkbut basically its on the main road that goes to and from Puerto Ayora and the Ferry dock.
malianrob's Related Pages
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Santa Cruz"
- "Isla Santa Cruz Galapagos"
- "ISLA SANTA CRUZ GALAPAGOS ARCHIPELIGO"
- "The Three aspects of Santa Cruz"
- "From the beaches to the Highlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Isla Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Isla Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa Cruz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ko Phangan
- Utsumi Hotels
- San Jose
- Boulder Hotels
- Penzberg Hotels
- Selva di Val Gardena Hotels
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Cruz
- 5 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Isla Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Cruz
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 73 reviews, 314 photos, 8 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 35 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 38 reviews, 201 photos, 10 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 32 reviews, 197 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 20 reviews, 172 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita Intro, 25 reviews, 143 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo Intro, 30 reviews, 138 photos, 7 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 26 reviews, 139 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solvang Intro, 34 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Intro, 16 reviews, 138 photos, 10 travelogues