"6 days on a tropical island paradise!" Cayos Cochinos by Slooper
Cayos Cochinos Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 38 photos
I guess all of the Bay Islands off the north coast of Honduras felt the impact of the horrible 2005 hurricane season. We wondered if we would have to cancel our week long stay at Plantation Beach Resort on the largest of this small group of islands. Fortunately these islands fared pretty well and the clean-up efforts were mostly completed when we arrived in early December.
Cayos Cochinos (meaning "Hog Islands) is a group of several small islands, some not much more than a sandbar, that is now a "Marine Biological Reserve." The resort where we stayed was on the largest of these, "the Big Pig Island" or "Cochinos Grande," but we boated around most of them, like the ones pictured here & below where indigenous people called "Garifuna" live.
The clear waters around this small group of islands are known not only for the primitive beauty of the islands, but the wonderful life of the sea beneath the surface. This is a popular destination for serious scuba divers & snorkelers (like us old folks).
For more photos of this area and our visit there, visit these WheelerFolk.org web pages:
- Pros:Small - not crowded or over commercialized - protected
- Cons:Can still find too much trash washing up on many beaches
- In a nutshell:A very special place for a peaceful, nature filled get-away!
Slooper's Related Pages
Cayos Cochinos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Honduran Bay Islands Within Easy Reach of Mainland"
- "6 days on a tropical island paradise!"
- "Marine Reserve of Cayos Cochinos, Honduras"
- "Upcoming Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cayos Cochinos
- Hotels in Cayos Cochinos
- Transportation in Cayos Cochinos
- Restaurants in Cayos Cochinos
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cayos Cochinos
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Cayos Cochinos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cayos Cochinos
Photos in Cayos CochinosSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tela Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- La Ceiba Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Cayos Cochinos Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Dinsmore Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- George Town Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Riyadh Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Singapore Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Beirut Intro, 3 photos
- Namur Intro, 3 photos
- Eureka Intro, 3 photos