"Our Favorite Honduras Coastal Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Tela by Slooper

Tela Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 160 photos

3 days were not enough

3 days & 2 nights in December was not enough to know this town and area in any depth - but what we saw, we liked very much. We stayed at the big Hotel Villas Telamar west of town and enjoyed walking to town along the beach. We were reassured that beach safety has improved during this past year with the addition of new "tourist police," but one still should not be too careless in any setting.

For more photos of our Tela visit, check out this WheelerFolk.org travel album:
Week 2, Part B

Not a huge town ...

... but Tela is a pleasant compact small town that seems to have everything one needs - at least this was the case for us. Its size lent itself well to walking. Folks in shops, cafes and banks were very helpful and friendly.

Just 2 blocks from the central plaza ...

... is this attractive beach. Unlike La Ceiba, the beach here is clean and attractive. There is a pleasant park-like walkway along the beach with nice cafes and a couple of hotels. This is a great place to have a late lunch or a few drinks after a day in town.

• Pros:Small friendly town in a beautiful setting
  • Cons:Some claim walking the beaches are not safe after dark
  • In a nutshell:We want to return to get to know Tela better
  • Last visit to Tela: Nov 2005
  • Intro Written Feb 9, 2006

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Tela sounds to be a nice place! I plan to stay there a few days when I visit Honduras.

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 11:22 AM

I am glad someone else loves Tela as much as me! Nice introduction :)

Slooper

“... as long as I can keep going.”

Badges & Stats in Tela