"Ankara" Ankara Ili by Paulie52
Ankara Ili Travel Guide: 400 reviews and 1,435 photos
Like Washington, DC, Ankara was more or less "created" to serve as a capital. In the 1920's, the modern Turkish Republic selected Ankara for it's secure, central location.
It is surrounded by low mountains. When I was there in March, there was snow on the ground. In December, the snow was on the mountains surrounding the city.
Home to around 4 million people, it is a busy place that is struggling to be modern and "European" in flavor. Overall, I have a very positive impression of the city.
People have lived in Turkey pretty much as long as there have been people. A truly deep and rich history resides in this country. Ankara itself was even a Roman provincial capital at one point.
This photo shows the main "Kale" or castle that sits on a jagged peak in the middle of the city.
OK, this is the guy that founded modern Turkey. After whooping the Allies at Gallipoli, he took charge and founded a secular state, the Latin alphabet, and many other changes. Basically, he is George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Abraham Lincoln rolled into one.
Here's a good tip: don't even make a joke about his big eyebrows. I did once and the Turks I was with didn't think it was funny. Also, it is officially against the law to make "anti-Turkish" statements, and that includes Attaturk.
This museum has it all, with artifacts from the earliest origins of Man all the way to present. An amazing number of... more travel advice
Paulie52's Related Pages
Ankara Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My homeland"
- "The capital of Turkey"
- "Museum of Anatolian Civilizations Part V"
- "Spa' s around Ankara"
- "VIEW FROM ATAKULE/ANKARA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ankara Ili
- Hotels in Ankara Ili
- Transportation in Ankara Ili
- Nightlife in Ankara Ili
- Restaurants in Ankara Ili
- Shopping in Ankara Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Ankara Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ankara Ili
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Ankara Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ankara Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Province of Palawan Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phuket Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Jordan Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Baghdad Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Ankara Ili Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Korcula Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Ko Samui Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Iraq Intro, 3 photos
- An Nasiriyah Intro, 3 photos