"Something about Me" Tawong's Profile

Welcome! Thanks for stumbling upon my Homepage.

How could I forget my very first big trip out of my home country of Singapore – it was the day of the worst accident in the history of nuclear power - Chernobyl Disaster, 26th April 1986. I spent the first 24 hours in Moscow and continued on to Munich, London and Paris. It was in Munich that the news of the disaster broke. It was a difficult time in Europe - people worrying about whether the fallout would affect them. It is terrible to know that years later, people developed cancer and babies born deformed due to the fallout. When my friends tell me I have a glow, I would grin and say it was Chernobyl. I have never stopped travelling since then. A lot of my travels were done with friends, sharing fun, food and laughter.

Countries I have traveled to in the past 20 years are Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, China, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States and Vatican City. This only makes up 12% of the world!

Europe always charms me. I love the castles and the cobblestone streets in the old towns i.e. Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Museums never fail to amaze me. My favourite museums are the British Museum, Louvre, smaller museums like the Egyptian Museum in Berlin (which features the bust of Nerfertiti). My favourite European country is Germany, followed closely by France. Most of my German holidays were spent in the southern states of Baden Wurttemberg and Bayern.

Countries which I would like to visit are Bhutan, Egypt, Greece, India, Maldives, Morocco, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.

I would really love to journey through the Rockies on the Rocky Mountaineer or on the Orient Express (Venice Simplon or the Road to Mandalay).

My unique travel experiences are:

- witnessing the Adams River Salmon Run, east of Kamloops. Watching the salmons struggle upstream brought about mixed feelings in me - sadness for the fish that its life is ending but hope and happiness for the beginning of life for the next generation.

- my first skiing lesson in Salbach-Hinterglem, Austria. I spent most of my time sliding downhill on my butt! Although I paid for 3 days' lesson, I attended only the first day and decided to give it up and explore the village instead. It was there that I first saw how a snowflake looked like!

- visiting the Chriskindlesmarkt (Christmas Market) in Nurnberg (Nuremberg) was great! I could never forget how the air smelled like. It was cold and crisp and smelled of roasting nuts, gluehwein and of course grilled nurnberger sausages.

- having a picnic along the Donau (Danube River) in Ulm,

- eating lunch in a Tibetan home and drinking Yak butter tea.

- attending two weddings in Germany.

Am looking forward to adding more unique experiences to share with my fellow VTers.

• Intro Updated May 20, 2006

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM

Looking at your list of "My unique travel experiences " it looks as if you have discovered the secret of people who know how to enjoy their travels in ALL the aspects, big AND small. Enjoy ^O^ Martin

• Bokhari76's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2008 at 2:24 AM

Happy Birthday Tan. Wish you many happy returns of the day.

• WStat's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 7:46 AM

Hallo Tanny . Gratulation zu deinem erstklassigen Deutsch - liebe Grüße nach Singapore! Willy

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Tawong's Profile Photo

Tawong

“Half the fun's in getting there!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.