"October Road Trip - NC Mountains" Cashiers by elmendorfs
Cashiers Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 27 photos
US Highway 64 going east from Franklin, NC through Highlands and Cashiers is a beautiful scenic mountain drive. VERY narrow and curvy compared to most US Highways, but well worth the effort if you have time to enjoy the scenery. Our trip in October was magnificent. This picture of the Cullasaja River was taken from a narrow pull off just wide enough to get out of traffic. In that area, the road is just chiseled out of the side of the mountain with very few places to stop.
Sorry, I don't remember the name of this lake, but it was right beside Hwy 64 at Highlands. It's quite a beautiful surprise as you come around a corner into town.
The dam was much higher than it appeared from the road and provided a great opportunity to stretch and explore.
- Pros:Beautiful scenic mountain area.
- Cons:Congested in October, with higher than usual prices.
- In a nutshell:Wonderful relaxing area to visit.
There are many campgrounds, recreation areas, waterfalls, and interesting side roads in this area. Be adventurous and... more travel advice
No public transportation available here, so private vehicles are the only option. A 4x4 might be nice any time of the... more travel advice
elmendorfs' Related Pages
Cashiers Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In The Scenic Blue Ridge Mountains...."
- "October Road Trip - NC Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cashiers
- Hotels in Cashiers
- Transportation in Cashiers
- Nightlife in Cashiers
- Restaurants in Cashiers
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cashiers
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Cashiers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cashiers
Photos in CashiersSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shannon Intro, 19 reviews, 58 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination White Rock Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cashiers Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Silver City Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Nanaimo Intro, 1 review, 9 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Chattanooga Intro, 6 reviews, 1 photo
- Denver 1 review, 2 photos
- Taiwan Intro, 2 photos