"Shannon and West Clare" Top 5 Page for this destination Shannon by elmendorfs

Shannon Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 177 photos

At "Home" in West Clare

It was near 'perfect'! A little more sunshine and a little less rain would have done the trick nicely. But, in spite of the rain and cool weather, we had a wonderful time. Our first 5 days were spent in a pleasant, comfortable selfcatering cottage in a working farm near Doonbeg, about 5 minutes from the ocean cliffs. Brigid and Michael Kelly, our hosts, were completely wonderful! Very friendly and helpful, but unobtrusive. Our location was about 15km from Kilrush and about 10km from Kilkee.

Megan's Summary

... I've been all over the Lower Shannon area of Western Ireland. We've been staying in County Clare in a lighthouse(awesome place!) in Loop Head(though I think it should be called Hare Head because of all the huge hares that are running around there) and also in a cottage in Doonbeg near Kilkee. These names may mean nothing to you but I'm giving them in case you want to do a spot of research and acquaint yourself with this lovely area.

We've been to the cliffs of Moher(spectacular!), the an island called Inisheer(rode bikes all over that island!), rode horseback English style(posting and all!) near Kilrush, went to Bunratty castle and folk village(very cool!), Cashel cathedral(breathtaking), the Burren(an area of land completely covered in limestone slabs with only patches of green grass) with all its ring forts and portal tombs, Lough Gur with its prehistoric dwellings and circle(a minitature Irish version of Stone Henge...sort of like it at least), Adare village with its Norman castle and various churches and cathedrals, lots of numerous ruins of castles and churches and old graveyards, and to Keatings pub in Kilbaha near the Loop Head lighthouse with Bernie and Helen the owners and the lovliest people ever.

Ireland isn't what I expected it to be. The people aren't as friendly as I thought they would be but they are more friendly than the English(though it doesn't take much hehe). The landscape is less dramatic than Scotland, at least the inland landscape is. Lots and lots of cows and pastures and the Emerald Isle is an island of walls. Rock walls everywhere! I suppose that's what they had to do in order to make room for the pastures because there are a LOT of rock walls all over the place! Its a very picturesque place and I HIGHLY reccommend that everyone come and enjoy its beauty and its culture.

Loop Head Light House

Staying at the light house on Loop Head was everything we could have wanted or expected. The house itself was lovely with two large bedrooms upstairs separated by a sitting room complete with easy chair and binoculars by the window looking out to the north. A reasonably sized bedroom with a window to the south, a living room complete with a stove for burning solid fuel (peat), a full bath with HUGE shower (no tub), a well furnished kitchen with open fireplace (did not use), and an additional 'water closet' made up the first floor. The house was clean, well maintained, and well stocked. This was our fist stay at an Irish Landmark and Trust property, but hopefully will not be our last! We stayed in the small building on the left of the photograph.

• Pros:Solitude, spectacular scenery
  • Cons:Cool and rainy even in first two weeks of June
  • In a nutshell:Magnificent destination for low-key relaxing holiday
  • Last visit to Shannon: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2007

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 12:31 AM

Beautiful pictures of this wonderful country and excellent tips! There seems to be everything there that I love: ancient ruins, great scenery, friendly people and Irish music. And I would certainly enjoy watching the hares!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Fred, a wonderful page and these awesome photos make me proud of my country.Despite the rain you seem to have had a wonderful trip and your page gives so many great descriptions:))

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 3:56 AM

Im still first to leave a comment!some lovely photos esp the stunning Burren ones & Inisheer!glad you really got in to the nitty gritty of the locality and you all look in real holiday see the place mode!thx 4 visiting my telouet and dades pages!!

elmendorfs

“What's over the next hill?...”

Badges & Stats in Shannon

Have you been to Shannon?

Latest Activity in Shannon