"European Village in Wisconsin" Kohler by apuleuis
Kohler Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos
You can't talk about the city without first talking about the company. The Kohler company as we know it was started in 1883 by John Michael Kohler when he enameled a horse trough and made it into a bathtub. In 1899 he bought empty land a few miles away from Sheboygan so he had more room to expand. In the early 1900's his son Walter Kohler opened the American Club as a temporary home for immigrants. The rest of the village was created in 1912 as a planned community. The city and company have been growing ever since side by side.
Today Kohler is known for golfing and luxury travel. The American Club is now a 5 star resort. There is a spa, two golf courses that have hosted the PGA, high end dining and shopping. You won't find a chain store or restaurant in the city. It hosts many events at the Shop at Woodlake and events at the American Club and looks absolutely beautiful at Christmas. I love living so close to this village.
- Pros:Feel of old world Europe
- Cons:Expensive and no speeding in town
Not just for those interested in toilets. The basement is the history of the Kohler Company and bathrooms in general... more travel advice
apuleuis' Related Pages
Kohler Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Community Flush With Money"
- "Outstanding Golf"
- "Kay_C's new Kohler Page"
- "European Village in Wisconsin"
- "Howilli's new Kohler Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kohler
- Hotels in Kohler
- Restaurants in Kohler
- Shopping in Kohler
- Warnings and Dangers in Kohler
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kohler
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Kohler?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kohler
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 9 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheboygan Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Green Bay Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Changsha Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- New Delhi Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos
- Atlanta Intro, 1 review, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wisconsin Dells Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Fenghuangcun Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues