Cairo Local Custom Tips by Heavens-Mirror
Cairo Local Customs: 140 reviews and 140 photos
~ No Problem...Mish Mushkila ~
Although English, French, Spanish and German is widely spoken in Egypt it is still beneficial to learn some of the language. The language in Egypt is Arabic. I have got a couple of books on Egypt which have helped me with the pronunciation of the words... as they can be abit of a mouthful. I have got the Lonely Planet guide to Egypt & also the Eyewitness guide to Egypt. Both books have been fantastic.
Hello= As-salama alaykum
Hello (to respond)= Wa alaykum salam
Goodbye (person leaving)= Ma' al salama
Goodbye (person responding)= Alla salkmak (to a man), Alla ysalmich (to a lady), Alla ysalimkum (to a group of people)
Good morning= Sabah al-kheir
Good afternoon/evening= Masa' al-kheir
Good afternoon/evening (to respond)= Masa' an-nur
Goodnight= Tisbah ala'kheir (to a man), Tisbihin ala-kheir (to a lady)
Pleased to meet you= Fursa sa' ida
Please= Min fadlik (to a man) Min fadlich (to a lady)
How are you?= Kef Halak?
And one of my favourite Arabic words is "No Problem" which is "Mish Mushkila"
Everything in Egypt is Mish Mushkila even the language.... Its very easy to learn once you've learnt a few basic words.
~ A Lady Praying ~
I was lucky enough to visit Cairo when Ramadan was in place. It starts around 6th October up until about the 3rd November.
I spent one evening with my Egyptian Friends Family & enjoyed breaking fast with them at 5.30pm. You listen to Allah on the radio & at the sound of the shot of a gun means you can break fast & eat & drink as much as you like. Everyone then likes to party all night long & enjoy food & drink with there friends & family.
Sugarcane Juice.... Yummy!
Egypts cuisine has a mix of African, Arabic & Mediterranean style. Egyptian dishes are rarely very spicy but they do use a mix of colourful spices in some of the foods. Although Egypt is a Muslim country, alcohol is widely available at restaurants & bars but do not miss out on the fantastic freshly squeezed fruit juices.
The local Stella Lager is good, but i do prefer the Egyptian beer which is called Saqqara Gold. There are a few Egyptians wines too my favourite is Obelisk. Hot drinks include Chai (Mint tea) which tastes great & you will find that everywhere you go they will offer you this tea, & Ahwa (Arabic coffee) which is a little too strong for me. Only drink bottled mineral water whilst in Egypt... A well known brand is Baraka which is really cheap to buy in the shops.
Also a must try is the Sugarcane Juice....its very sweet but delicious. It is made from Sugarcane pulp which is squeezed to give asap, a sweet light green drink with a foamy head.
Me enjoyin Shisha in Khan El Khalli
When buying goods in Cairo, make sure you haggle with the prices, you will notice that most things do not have a price on them. Getting a bargain is part of the game for you aswell as the seller. They always give items a high price but haggle them to the price you want to pay.
There are many things you can buy in Cairo, you will find the people in the shops are very friendly, it is normal for them to offer you a sit & a drink & some Shisha whilst you shop. This is what they do.
Me with a full headscarf on
I noticed that all the ladies in Egypt dress different, you see some girls who dress casually with normal clothes & show off there arms, then you see girls who wear a head scarf that still shows off there faces, then there is a gown you see some ladies wear which totally covers there face & body.
I wanted to see what it was like to wear these so i went to a shop & purchased one of each & spent a couple of hours wearing it, the Egyptians loved to see me joining in & trying it out & the girls in the shop showed me how it was worn. I enjoyed trying this & seeing what the different cultures were like. I asked people if it was ok to do this as i didnt want to offend any of the Egyptians but everyone was fine with it.
More Reviews (30)
- See All ~ Great Buffet Meal & Belly Dancers ~
- See All ~ Golf at The Mena House Oberoi ~
- See All ~ Egyptian Museum ~
- See All ~ Fabulous Sunsets Every Night ~
- See All ~ Underground Tomb at Giza Pyramids ~
- See All ~ Very Nice Supermarket & Excellent...
Heavens-Mirror's Related Pages
Cairo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cairo`s yellow pages!"
- "Cairo- Umm el Dunya"
- "CAIRO... still thinking of..."
- "3 decades living in Cairo and yet exploring more"
- "~ Cairo ~"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cairo
- Hotels in Cairo
- Transportation in Cairo
- Nightlife in Cairo
- Restaurants in Cairo
- Shopping in Cairo
- Warnings and Dangers in Cairo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hernandarias Hotels
- Cedar Key Hotels
- Province of Cebu
- Bad Windsheim
- Gresik Hotels
- Sunny Isles Hotels
Badges & Stats in Cairo
- 35 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 97 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cairo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cairo
- Posted in Travel Ras Al Khaimah Forum "Re: Al Hamra Fort.....Is it good?"
- Wrote a Review ~ The Arabic Language...Some Useful Phrases ~ in Cairo Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "~ Delicious Pizzas & Great Prices ~"
- Commented on one of TheWanderingCamel's Cairo travel pages
- updated a Cairo Travel Page "~ Cairo ~"
Photos in CairoSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 35 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sosúa Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jamaica Intro, 18 reviews, 24 photos
- Birmingham Intro, 12 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nottingham Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Dubai Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
- Majorca Island Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Derby Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
Latest Cairo hotel reviews
- Cataract Pyramids Resort
- 197 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Le Meridien Pyramids
- 885 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Grand Hyatt Cairo
- 212 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Intercontinental Pyramids Park Resort Cairo
- 201 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Safir Hotel Cairo
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Husa Pyramids
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Cairo Heliopolis
- 231 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Ramses Hilton
- 421 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Le Passage Cairo Hotel & Casino
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Holiday Inn - Citystars
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Moevenpick Resort Pyramids Cairo
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- JW Marriott Hotel Cairo
- 295 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- InterContinental Cairo Semiramis
- 383 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Victoria Hotel
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2013
- Egyptian Museum- 204 Reviews, 302 Photos
- Gizeh Pyramids- 282 Reviews, 513 Photos
- Khan el Khalili- 82 Reviews, 144 Photos
- Citadel- 131 Reviews, 295 Photos
- River Nile- 53 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Coptic Cairo- 65 Reviews, 129 Photos
- Tower- 42 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Sakkara : Step Pyramid- 39 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Coptic Cairo - Hanging Church- 25 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Christian Cairo- 18 Reviews, 53 Photos
See All Cairo Things to Do