"Relax and Dive" Grand Turk by TemperatureWuss

Grand Turk Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 388 photos

What I Read Was True

I read several postings in various forums that there is nothing to do on Grand Turk, if you are not a diver. Guess what folks? It's pretty much true. I have been other places, like Cozumel, where I heard the same statement, but in Grand Turk, it is a reality.

I had no transportation, other than the dive boat, and the scooter rental place seemed to be closed the whole time I was there. So, I put on my sneakers and walked from my hotel to "town." I could not find a grocery store anywhere on Front Street. Nothing was open, except the banks and post office.

This was not a dissapointment to me. I was diving so much that the afternoons I spent hanging out on the small beach in front of the Salt Raker were perfect for me.

Just be warned. There is not much in the way of shopping or night life. I am sure that this will change a little when the Cruise Ship Dock is complete in the Spring. BUT... you will have to have a way to get down to the dock and attached shopping area.

If you want your own groceries, rent a car too, or have a cab take you to a store on the way to your lodging.

I LOVED IT... but some people may not.

DIVE DIVE DIVE

So... this is what I came for.... the DIVING!. I had to laugh when I heard someone say that Grand Turk was ok, if you liked wall diving. I wondered how they had made the decision to go there! Everything I read claimed that Grand Turk was famous for, and had even won awards for the fabulous wall diving... again... all TRUE.

The walls and the reef were amazing. The visibility was spectacular. Something was alive in every little hole or sponge or crevace. Grand Turk lived up to it's reputation of a premier dive spot!

Lodging

The places to stay on Grand Turk are NOT the luxury resorts you find on Provo. They are small inns that cater to divers. I stayed at the Salt Raker Inn. It was a great bargain. It was built in 1825, and does not have fancy baths or even a pool. The owner, Erica was sweet and helpful. The rooms have airconditioning and mosquito nets. More than enough for a sleepy diver. Just be sure that you don't need extra sleep on Friday nights when they have live music, as you can hear it in your room. It was fine for me. All the other nights, I just fell asleep to the sound of the ocean.

• Pros:Small, Quiet, Caters to Divers
  • Cons:Small, Quiet, Caters to Divers
  • Last visit to Grand Turk: Nov 2005
  • Intro Written Dec 2, 2005

Comments

TemperatureWuss

“No Hablo Agua Fria”

Badges & Stats in Grand Turk

Have you been to Grand Turk?

Latest Activity in Grand Turk