"Old city" Top 5 Page for this destination Gjirokaster by AlbaniaLover
Gjirokaster Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 210 photos
Gjirokaster is an ancient city with habitation dating back they think to about the 1st century BC. It is a UNESCO world heritage city and in 2005 was inscribed on the world heritage list saying 'A rare example of a well preserved ottoman town'
Gjirokaster looks down over the Drin river and has a population of roughly 30,000. At the top of the mountain in Gjirokaster is the castle called Citadel which has great views of the city.
Famous people who have come from Gjirokaster are:
Enver Hoxha - the former dictator
Adil Çarçani - the former Prime Minister
Ismail Kadare - Auther, recently winning the booker prize.
You can visit Gjirokaster in September for the most important folkloric activity in Albania which is called the National Folk Festival and is meant to be amazing although i have not been there around the right time to see it. I hope to one day!
- Pros:Nice old city with great views
- Cons:Very steep climb to the castle
- In a nutshell:Traditional beauty
In Gjirokaster there are quite a few good shops. From trendy clothing shops and very nice shoe shops. Also here you will... more travel advice
AlbaniaLover's Related Pages
Gjirokaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEW Gjirokastra/Argyrokastron page"
- "City of a Thousand Stairs"
- "A quiet beauty"
- "The town made of stone"
- "Old city"
- "World Heritage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gjirokaster
- Hotels in Gjirokaster
- Transportation in Gjirokaster
- Nightlife in Gjirokaster
- Restaurants in Gjirokaster
- Shopping in Gjirokaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Gjirokaster
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gjirokaster
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gjirokaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gjirokaster
Photos in GjirokasterSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 64 reviews, 59 photos
- Nice Intro, 11 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 13 reviews, 15 photos
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kefalos Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Suffolk Intro, 1 review, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarande Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos
- Tirana Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Monte-Carlo Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tepelene Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue