"Corinth Canal" Ancient Corinth by FruitLover
Ancient Corinth Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 163 photos
The Corinth Canal is a canal connecting the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegean Sea. It separates the Peloponnesian peninsula from the Greek mainland and therefore effectively makes it an island.
The canal is 6.3 km in length and was built between 1881 and 1893. It saves the 400 km long journey around the Peloponnesos for smaller ships, but since it is only 23 m wide, it is too narrow for modern ocean freighters. The canal is nowadays mostly used by tourist ships; 11,000 ships per year travel through the waterway.
At each end of the canal, seashore roads cross using unique submersible bridges that are lowered to the canal bottom to allow maritime traffic to pass.
The first attempt to build a canal at the place was carried out by the tyrant Periander or Periandros in 7th century BC. He abandoned the project due to its technical difficulties and constructed an overland stone ramp, named Diolkos instead. Remnants of Diolkos still exist today next to the modern canal. Later in 67AD the philhellene Roman emperor Nero ordered 6,000 slaves to dig a canal with spades.
FruitLover's Related Pages
Ancient Corinth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where Apostle Paul walked"
- "once upon a time an important city"
- "On the Way to Ancient Corinth"
- "A Walk in Ancient Corinth"
- "A Day Trip to Ancient Corinth from Athens"
- "Corinth Canal"
- "Sharrie's Ancient Corinth Cityscapes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ancient Corinth
- Hotels in Ancient Corinth
- Transportation in Ancient Corinth
- Nightlife in Ancient Corinth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ancient Corinth
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ancient Corinth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ancient Corinth
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos