"La Casa de Junta de Gernika" Guernica y Luno by FruitLover
Guernica y Luno Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 46 photos
For centuries Gernika has been the meeting place for the people of Biscay. These meetings were held in the open air around the Tree of Gernika and were called the 'General Assemblies'.
The Tree of Gernika is the most universal symbol for the Basque people.
The present oak tree was planted in 2005 and directly descends from the Tree beneath which the Meetings (Juntas) had been held.
Gernika was a target of the massive bombing by Hitler's Legio'n Condor, at the request of Franco, on April 1937. 2,000(!!) people died and the town was destroyed in the attack that took place during busy Monday afternoon market (still held today).
The massacre was later immortalised in Picasso's nightmare vision GUERNICA - the painting is in Madrid's Centro de Arte Reina Sofi'a.
This room houses the Plenary Meetings of the Juntas Generales de Bizkaia, which is the highest representative body of... more travel advice
FruitLover's Related Pages
Guernica y Luno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guernica - Gernika."
- "GERNIKA, EUSKADI SYMBOL"
- "La Casa de Junta de Gernika"
- "Gernikako arbola"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guernica y Luno
- Hotels in Guernica y Luno
- Transportation in Guernica y Luno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guernica y Luno
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Guernica y Luno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guernica y Luno
Photos in Guernica y LunoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos