"Special fruits of South America" South America by FruitLover
South America Travel Guide: 54,047 reviews and 145,015 photos
Papaya is delightfully sweet, and often enjoyed in ice creams, salads, preserves, juices or simply alone, with a wedge of lime (often part of a Caribbean breakfast).
The red Indians of South and Middle America use the papaya not only for food, but also for healing wounds, for supporting a weak liver, for healing constipation, against worms and parasites, for healing inflammation and skin problems and even for treating cancer. They are the "inventors" of modern enzyme therapy.
Venezuelian species is called 'Lechosa'.
Fruit that grows on a bush or small tree, the “pitangueira”, when cultivated has small, brilliant green and aromatic leaves. The flowers are also small and whitish and the fruit, the “pitanga” grows in form of beans, flattened in the two extremities and divided in prominent buds, having a flat and rounded seed, covered by a thin skin that is skinny red when ripe.
The “pitanga” is a very appreciated fruit and is eaten raw as it has a sweet-and-sour and aromatic pulp. With the “pitanga” we can make marmalades, wines and liqueurs.
The “pitanga” is a native fruit of Brazil.
FruitLover's Related Pages
South America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Corazón Mirando Al Sur"
- "a great continent !"
- "PERU - BOLIVIA - CHILE"
- "Aqui tienen que ir, porque vale la pena !"
- "Jumping Around South America!"
- "You will need a lot more time than you think"
- "LEARNING THE A, B, C'S !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South America
- Hotels in South America
- Transportation in South America
- Nightlife in South America
- Restaurants in South America
- Shopping in South America
- Warnings and Dangers in South America
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South America
- 0 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to South America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South America
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos