"Caesarea" Caesarea by FruitLover
Caesarea Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 307 photos
Caesarea was a planned city, with a network of crisscrossing roads, a temple, theatre, amphitheatre, markets and residential quarters. It took 12 years to build, and great festivities were held to mark its completion in 10-9 BCE. The city transformed rapidly into a great commercial center, and by the year 6 BCE became the headquarters of the Roman government in Palestine.
The high-level aqueduct, which brought water from Shuni springs 7.5 KM northeast of Caesarea, served as a source of water for the prospering city. Its population included Jews and gentiles, but conflicts among them were one of the important causes of the Great Revolt that erupted in 66 BCE. Caesarea served as base for the Roman legions who dealt with the quelling of the revolt, and it was here that their commanding general Vespasian was declared Caesar. The city received the status of 'colony' and after the fall and destruction of Jerusalem, became the most important city in the country.
Pagans, Samaritans, Jews and Christians lived here in the 3rd and 4th centuries CE.
Caesarea National Park is situated on the Mediterranean coast in Northern Sharon, between the Crocodile and Hadera Rivers mouths. It lies alongside bays and shallow inlets that were formed by wave erosion in the KURKAR range. These bays were utilized throughout history for the anchorage of sea-going vessels.
FruitLover's Related Pages
Caesarea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caesarea of Herod the Great"
- "Ancient City Of Caesarea"
- "Ralli Museum"
- "we took a day off and went to caesarea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caesarea
- Hotels in Caesarea
- Transportation in Caesarea
- Nightlife in Caesarea
- Restaurants in Caesarea
- Shopping in Caesarea
- Warnings and Dangers in Caesarea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caesarea
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Caesarea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caesarea
Photos in CaesareaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Caesarea hotel reviews
- Dan Hotels Caesaria
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013