"City of Jewish Forefathers" Top 5 Page for this destination Hebron by FruitLover
Hebron Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 88 photos
The Cave of Machpelah is, probably, the world's most ancient Jewish site. The cave and the adjoining field were purchased - at full market price - by the Patriarch Avraham some 3,700 years ago.
The double(machpelah means double, in Hebrew) cave, a mystery for thousands of years, was uncovered several years ago beneath the massive building, revealing artifacts from the Early Israelite Period (some 30 centuries ago).
The structure was built during the Second Temple Period (about 2,000 thousands ago) by Herod, King of Judea, providing a place for gatherings and Jewish prayers at the graves of the Patriarch.
This impressive building is the only one that stands intact and still fulfills its original function after thousands of years.
The name "Hebron" traces back to two Semitic roots, which coalesce in the form ḥbr, having reflexes in Hebrew, Amorite and Arabic, and denoting a range of meanings from "colleague", "unite", "friend" or "to be noisy".
In the proper name Hebron, the original sense may have been alliance. In Arabic, Ibrahim al-Khalil (ÅÈÑÇåíã ÇáÎáíá) means "Abraham the friend", according to Islamic teaching signifying that God chose Abraham as his friend. Arabic Al-Khalil thus precisely translates the ancient Hebrew toponym Ḥebron, understood as ḥaber (friend).
The Abraham Avinu Synagogue (Hebrew: áéú äëðñú òì ùí àáøäí àáéðåý) was built in 1540. The domed structure represented... more travel advice
FruitLover's Related Pages
Hebron Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enemies in the City of the Friend"
- "Hebron City"
- "City of Jewish Forefathers"
- "Occupied Hebron"
- "The City where I learned the meaning of Injustice"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hebron
- Transportation in Hebron
- Restaurants in Hebron
- Warnings and Dangers in Hebron
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hebron
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Hebron?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hebron
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos