"Biblical Shchem" Nabulus by FruitLover
Nabulus Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 40 photos
Situated on Mt. Gerizim in Nablus on some 70 acres of land, Munib el-Masri's palace is a mock 16th-century Italian house, the original of which is located near Venice, designed by the Italian architect Andrea Palladio.
Almost all of the building materials, including the gravel and sand, were imported from France.
El-Masri's company The Palestinian Development and Investment Company (PADICO) currently represents about 35 percent of the Palestinian economy.
His wealth is rooted in the oil and gas business, but much of his investments fall under the Edgo Group, his holding company based in London which operates in contracting, industrial development, trading, distribution and representation, project development, operation and maintenance
He was a close friend of former Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat which has led to suggestions that he benefited from special concessions that allowed him to accumulate huge wealth.
Three refugee camps still located within the city limits today are Ein Beit al-Ma', Balata and Askar.
You can read here about the role of UNRWA re Palestinian Arabs refugee camps:
UNRWA represents an obstacle to solving the refugee problem. UNRWA was originally formed to integrate the refugees in the region, but when this met with strong opposition from the refugee groups and the host countries, the organisation shifted its focus to education, health and welfare.
- In a nutshell:Economic MEGA-GAP:super-luxurious palace aside refugee camps
Historically, Samaritans were a large community — up to more than a million in late Roman times, but were then gradually... more travel advice
FruitLover's Related Pages
Nabulus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nablus under occupation"
- "NABLUS / SHKHEM / NAPLOUSE"
- "Biblical Shchem"
- "The Biblical Shkhem"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nabulus
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Nabulus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nabulus
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos