"Gamla - history, nature, cliffs, flora, birds" Al Yahudiyah by FruitLover
Al Yahudiyah Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 41 photos
The Gamla Reserve is a special monument, situated on a breathtaking cliff overlooking the Gamla Hill, the Dalyiot riverbed and the Lake of Galilee.
The Flora of the area is varied. One can find many different species of trees, bushes and shrubs throughout all the seasons. The most prominent among them are the Mt Tabor Oak tree and Pistachio Atlantic tree. These trees, that shed their leaves in the winter, are scattered on the high plateaus.
Gamla is mentioned in the Talmud and depicted there as a walled city, dated from the period of Joshua [the Bronze Age].
"For it was situated upon a rough ridge of a high mountain, with a kind of neck in the middle: where it begins to ascend, it lengthens itself, and declines as much downward before as behind, insomuch that it is like a CAMEL in figure..."
[The Jewish War 4:1; Flavius Josephus]
Hebrew word 'GAMAL' = camal. Origin of the name 'Gamla' is: 'gamal'
The Dolmens are megalithic structures [megalith is a structure that is built from immense stone slabs]. They were... more travel advice
At its sources the water flows into a shallow natural wide canal [called Masil]. This part of the river ends in a tall... more travel advice
FruitLover's Related Pages
Al Yahudiyah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a.k.a. Yehudiya Nature Reserve & Golan Heights"
- "The Hexagons Pool"
- "Gamla - history, nature, cliffs, flora, birds"
- "Yahudiyah Nature Reserve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Yahudiyah
- Hotels in Al Yahudiyah
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Yahudiyah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Yahudiyah
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Al Yahudiyah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Yahudiyah
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos