"One of Nabatean Settlements in the Negev" Horbat Mamshit by FruitLover
Horbat Mamshit Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 59 photos
Mamshit National Park is situated 7 kms east to Dimona, alongside the main road to Eilat. Within the park - which includes Mamshit Stream and its antique dams - lies the ancient Roman- Nabatean city of Mamshit, known to the Greeks as 'Mampsis' and to the Arabs as 'Kurnub'.
Geographically that's the intersection of 2 timeworn roads leading from the Mediterranean shore to Mt. Hebron, then onward to the Arava and the Dead-Sea, Petra and the Gulf of Eilat.
The first permanent settlement arose here on the 1st century CE, when Nabatean Kingdom came under Roman hegemony.
During the Byzantine period, 2 churches were built, which continued to be used until the Arab conquest in the 7th century CE, after which the city ceased to exist.
FruitLover's Related Pages
Horbat Mamshit Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mamshit National Park --- A world heritage"
- "Mamshit - Nabatean crossroads"
- "One of Nabatean Settlements in the Negev"
- See All...
Explore the World
- North Charleston Hotels
- Hollingworth Lake Hotels
- Fort Lauderdale
- Kupari Hotels
- La Perouse Hotels
- Rizokarpaso Hotels
- Province of Nova Scotia
- Krems an der Donau
- La Playa de Mogán
- Nea Kallikratia Hotels
Badges & Stats in Horbat Mamshit
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Horbat Mamshit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Horbat Mamshit
Photos in Horbat MamshitSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos