"Kibbutz Ginosar & the Ancient Galilee Boat" Lake Tiberias by FruitLover
Lake Tiberias Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 282 photos
On 1986 two brothers from Kibbutz Ginosar discovered the Galilee Boat when a severe drought resulted in the lowering of the waters of Yam Kinnereth (Lake of Galilee). The vessel had been buried in, and thus protected by the seabed's sediments.The boat was rescued in eleven day excavation. Excavators packaged the weak and waterlogged hull in a cocoon of fiberglass & polyurethane foam. After an extensive carefully monitored ten year long conservation process in a pool - it's presented to visitors in the Kibbutz
The building techniques used in constructing the boat have been dated from the first century BCE to the second century CE. Carbon 14 analysis of wood samples, by Weizman Institute, yield an average date of 40 BCE, years of historical significance. The thriving lakeside communities witnessed the ministry of Jesus and his disciples and were the scene of events related to the New Testament. They were, as well, a party to the unrest of the Jewish population under the heel of Imperial Rome.
Totem pillar symbolizing the Biblical Flood, and the sculptor, our guide Yuval Lufan (UV). UV is one of two brothers... more travel advice
FruitLover's Related Pages
Lake Tiberias Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our Kinneret (Sea of Galilee)"
- "Day 3: Excursion around the Sea of Galilee"
- "Lake Tiberias and Mount of Beatitudes"
- "Kinneret - Sea of Galilee"
- "Galilee and the Golan Heights"
- "The Sea of Galilee"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Tiberias
- Hotels in Lake Tiberias
- Transportation in Lake Tiberias
- Nightlife in Lake Tiberias
- Restaurants in Lake Tiberias
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lake Tiberias
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lake Tiberias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Tiberias
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euromeet 2013 in Sibiu, Romania"
- Commented on one of jadedmuse's Lake Tiberias travel pages
- Wrote a Review Plants & Stone art in Lake Tiberias Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Plants & Stone art"
- updated a Lake Tiberias Travel Page "Kibbutz Ginosar & the Ancient Galilee Boat"
Photos in Lake TiberiasSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos