"Apollonia - the Crusader Fortress" Tel Arshaf by FruitLover
Tel Arshaf Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 19 photos
Apollonia is located on a cliff that stretches th length of the Sharon coast. The cliff is composed of Kurkar [calcareous sandstone], red loam and sand. At the top of the cliff, high above a small natural anchorage, people first settled some 2,500 years ago. Thus began the fascinating history of Apollonia.
The first settlement on this site was founded by the Phoenicians at the sixth century BCE [the Persian period]. The Phoenicians called the place Arsuf after one of their deities, RESHEF, god of war and storms.
During the Hellenistic period, between the 4th to the 1st centuries BCE, the residents of Arsuf identified Reshef with the god APOLLO, and therefore renamed their city APOLLONIA.
to make a long story short:
in 1099 CE, after the fall of Jerusalem to the Crusaders, they turned their attention to Arsuf. 2 years later, Crusader King Baldwin the first conquered the city with the aid of the Genoan fleet. The Crusaders renamed the city ARSOUR. Mameluke Sultan Bibars put an end to the city at 1265 CE. He forced the defenders of the city to destroy and burn it.
The keep was an octagonal, 30 feet-high tower constructed over a gradated arch. This was the third system of... more travel advice
The picture describes the three system of fortifications, as already mentioned above more travel advice
FruitLover's Related Pages
Tel Arshaf Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tel Arshaf
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Tel Arshaf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tel Arshaf
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos