"Ancient Religious Center- city of Lord Brahma" Pushkar by FruitLover
Pushkar Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 847 photos
Pushkar is one of the oldest pilgrimage centers of India. It is situated in Rajasthan, 11 km from Ajmer city and 414 km from Delhi.
Pushkar is the name of the most sacred lake, and the lake gave its name to the small town that developed around the lake.
Lord Brahma - the creator of the world and one of the supreme lords of Hindu Trinity - once decided to perform the YAGNA(sacrifice) according to the prescriptions of the VEDA. He decided to travel around the earth, and wherever the lotus from his hands would fall, there he would perform his sacrifice. The lotus struck three places in Pushkar, water issued from all the three locations, and Lord Brahma called the place Pushkar, after the Lotus.
Brahama is represented as a red or gold-coloured male deity, robed in White , and seated on his VAHAN(vehicle) the HANSA (swan). He has four heads and four arms. His paradise is on the summit of Mount Meru, encircled by the sacred Ganges.
Pushkar lake is situated in a valley and surrounded by hills on three sides, and on the fourth side great sand dunes are drifted from the plains of Thar desert.
The beautiful lake has a BUND and bathing and bathing GHATS around it. Around the ghats are small houses painted white.
The town of Pushkar is encircled by hills of which NAGPAHAR(Serpent Hill) on the east has many caves which are associated with great sages. There are also fresh mountain springs and hermitages with gardens and fountains.
On the western slope of Serpent Hills there is a sacred site called Punch-Kund, in which a waterfall named Gou-Mukha(cow's mouth) appears in the rainy season.
FruitLover's Related Pages
Pushkar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pushkar Holy Lake"
- "Pushkar - A pond created by a flower"
- "Holy Pushkar...."
- "Pushkar king of kings"
- "Pushkar - a holy Hindu pilgrimage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pushkar
- Hotels in Pushkar
- Transportation in Pushkar
- Nightlife in Pushkar
- Restaurants in Pushkar
- Shopping in Pushkar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pushkar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pushkar
- 2 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Pushkar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pushkar
Photos in PushkarSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 124 reviews, 314 photos, 4 travelogues
- India Intro, 48 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 27 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 28 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 32 reviews, 62 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Delhi Intro, 25 reviews, 56 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- Quilon Intro, 12 reviews, 58 photos
- Meteora Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 52 photos