"Backwaters- life can be so simple and nice" Quilon by FruitLover

Quilon Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 149 photos

Shangri-La [paradise on earth]

Quilon (Kollam) is a typical small Keralan market town, nestled amongst coconut palms and cashew tree plantations on the edge of the Ashtamudi Lake.

Moving more inland from the seaside resorts, we got into a pastoral vision, in the scenic charm of the backwaters of Kerala, using local authentic transportation boat. The term 'backwaters' defines the innumerable inland lakes and lagoons, and arterial waterways - "Venice of the South". There is a timeless quality to the tranquil life on the banks of these backwaters.

• Last visit to Quilon: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 13, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Nice evocative photos of the backwaters! I never knew they did so much will all parts of the coconut tree. Happy Birthday and greetings from Frankfurt am Main.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 2:04 AM

I love this place Avi! I think now I need to buy a scanner and sit for some time to convert them in digital. All my photos of the place is in analogue. Or do you think we should make a trip? Rakhi would love it.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 11:56 PM

So calm and peaceful looking. Thanks for all the info on the coconut

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2007 at 9:40 PM

It looks so nice and peacefull. One feels oneself relaxing looking at your photo's ;-)

• kikalena's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2006 at 2:36 AM

wonderful Kerala page! I've always wanted to visit this place, when I was in India didn't have time for it:-( Thanks for this page and truely bootiful photos!

• Justin_goa's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 9:33 AM

Hello, Nice pictures from Kollam (Quilon) Highly appreciated... Cheers!!!

• JourneyOf1's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Your photos are quite wonderful on this page!

• ukirsari's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 11:48 AM

hiks, hoping can join you in october >> but sure, will make a plan someday and tell you FL!!!! ps: this backwater trip so laid back :)

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2005 at 1:01 AM

Wonderful pictures, Avi :)))

FruitLover

“Our life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath”

Badges & Stats in Quilon