"Tiruvannamalai: - Sri Arunachala IS Lord Siva" Tiruvannamalai by FruitLover

Tiruvannamalai Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 90 photos

Sri Ramana Maharashi (1879 - 1950), when visited the holy Mount Kailasa deep in the Himalayas, explained that while Kailasa was indeed the abode of Lord Siva - Holy Annamalai - Sri Arunachala - IS Lord Siva Himself, from beginningless bottom to endless top.
Complicated ? I'll try to explain.

Tiruvannamalai, a medium-sized town in South India, a hundred and fifty kms from Madras, has been attracting Hindu pilgrims in large numbers for hundreds of years. As long ago as the sixth century AD poets and Hindu holy men were singing songs in praise of it, extolling its greatness, its power and its sanctity.

Tiru's major festival occurring between mid-November and mid-December, attracts HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of devotees.

The object of all this devotional fervour is and has been the local mountain - called ANNAMALAI in Tamil and ARUNACHALA in Sanskrit - and the temple dedicated to it on its eastern side. The image of God in the temple and the mountain which rises up behind it are held to be one and the same entity: Siva, the Supreme Deity for millions of Hindus.

Hinduism and India's Wisdom In A Nutshell

The BHAGAVAD GITA considered to be the most important book of Vedic scripts. It contains 18 chapters, about 700 verses, and is a part of the MAHABHARATA, the records of ancient India's history. The BHAGAVAD GITA is a comprehensive dialog between KRISHNA and ARJUNA. KRISHNA takes the role of spiritual guide, and explains carefully and in details the science of self fulfilment. The importance of this creation is its appeal to the embarrassed person with unavoidable problems in life in this world, and pointing the spiritual path as a solution for his existential questions.
Johan Volfgang Gete, the famous philosopher of 19th century wrote:
"That's the most enlightening book I read in my life".

• Last visit to Tiruvannamalai: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 3, 2007

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Ah India! Sure gets in the pores, don't it? Nicely done. Did you stay with the ashram for long? And I couldn't help myself - gave you ratings - its ingrained behavior. I'll work on it.

• radz's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 4:29 AM

Nice insightful tips.

• hekate's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2005 at 12:59 AM

Interesting tips about the Hindu temple! BTW, if I were you, I would put the Sri Ramanasramam tip under Local customs.

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 3:28 PM

Hi Fruitlover, I see you got to Tiru all right! I am really enjoying all your India pages and photos, thanks! I am still full of the wonders of it myself! So long Agnes

FruitLover

“Our life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath”

Badges & Stats in Tiruvannamalai

Have you been to Tiruvannamalai?