"Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Saipan by rhondav_2004

Saipan Travel Guide: 91 reviews and 299 photos

Lots of History

If you've ever seen the movie 'Wind Talkers' with Nicholas Cage (During the war, the Navajo Indian language was used so the Japanese could not break our code), or if you are a WWII history buff, then you've heard of Saipan. If not, you probably don't even know that it is a Commonwealth of the United States.
Located in the South Pacific, it was a major strategic turning point of WWII. In fact you can still see the 60+ year old U.S. tanks that got stuck in the coral when they were coming ashore, sitting just off the beach. Tourists swim out to them and use them as diving boards.
The island is mostly jungle, and while hiking, the tourists still find hidden caves filled with WWII relics.
This last June, the Emperor of Japan came to Saipan to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Saipan. He promised his father, Emperor Hirohito, that someday, Japan would return to Saipan.

Flame Trees

One of my favorite things about Saipan is the flame trees. During peak season, as you drive down the street along the beach or in the hills, it literally looks as though the tree tops are on fire. It's one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen. You can't imagine how many times I've almost crashed my car because I couldn't keep my eyes on the road.

Lau Lau trees

By now you're thinking I have a thing for trees. OK, it's true. I'm a sucker for the beauty of nature. But look at these trees...aren't they magnificent?

• Pros:The people here are the nicest in the world. Family oriented and steeped in culture.
  • Cons:It's a long journey to get here from the U.S.
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2005

rhondav_2004 Lives Here!

“I need another suitcase.”

Badges & Stats in Saipan