"UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England)" United Kingdom by clivedinburgh
United Kingdom Travel Guide: 94,312 reviews and 225,403 photos
When compared to the rest of the world the british isles has had a settled history for centuries now.
The work started by James VI of Scotland when he took on the English crown in 1603 (following the death of Queen Elizabeth I) was eventually completed by Queen Anne (his great, great granddaughter) a hundred years later when she forced through the 1707 Act of Union. This effectively created the United Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland was formed in 1921 following a truce agreed between Lloyd George (Prime Minister) and Eamon de Valera (Sinn Fein leader). The remaining 6 counties of Northern Ireland were retained by the British government.
The passports issued in the UK therfore carry the title of...
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
I thought I'd use these pages to details the various hotel groups, tourist agencies, shops etc that are generally available throughout the UK.
Planes - all airlines have fairly easy to navigate websites and will be listed individually. The majority of UK airports are run by BAA or TBI.
Trains - the UK rail network has run on franchises for a few years now and several are due to change hands shortly. Each franchise (GNER, Virgin etc) have thier own website but a UK wide booking service is provided by the trainline.
Buses - again lots of different franchises but National Express offer the best city to city service.
Driving - we drive on the left in the UK, other good tips (and rules) can be found at in the Highway Code. The motoring organisations (AA, RAC or Greenflag) are also useful and car hire is available nationally.
- Pros:Home is where the heart is
- Cons:The weather - great talking point
- In a nutshell:Wouldn't live anywhere else
Virgin has been much criticised over the years for its train service but it now seems to be fulfilling the early... more travel advice
There aren't many chains of hostels but here are a few Youth Hostel Association Scottish Youth Hostel Association St... more travel advice
clivedinburgh's Related Pages
United Kingdom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Firas in Wonderland"
- "My U.K. - a home I love very dearly."
- "United Kingdom Adventure"
- "A Taste of Real Britain - Tourist Information"
- "UNITED KINGDOM"
- "Jet Ski!"
- "Christmas 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United Kingdom
- Hotels in United Kingdom
- Transportation in United Kingdom
- Nightlife in United Kingdom
- Restaurants in United Kingdom
- Shopping in United Kingdom
- Warnings and Dangers in United Kingdom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United Kingdom
- 351 Reviews
- 354 Photos
- 582 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to United Kingdom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United Kingdom
- Posted in Travel Edinburgh Forum "Re: Edinburgh visit in mid November"
- Wrote a Review Bed & Breakfasts in United Kingdom Hotels
- updated a United Kingdom Travel Page "UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "UK (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England)"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 101 reviews, 126 photos
- Dunfermline Intro, 61 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 42 reviews, 24 photos
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Langholm Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 27 reviews, 8 photos
- Malmö Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Leith Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 20 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Top United Kingdom hotels
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 891 Photos
- Llandudno Hotels
- 243 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3409 Reviews - 6784 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1741 Reviews - 4028 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 352 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1631 Reviews - 3976 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 276 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 207 Photos
- Whitby Hotels
- 355 Reviews - 743 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1280 Reviews - 2297 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1269 Photos
- Newquay Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 274 Photos