"The Border City" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlisle by clivedinburgh
Carlisle Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 84 photos
The city of Carlisle has a long history going back over 2000 years and still has several landmarks pointing towards this. The Citadel pictured is the site of the county courts and was built in 1810 to a design by Thomas Telford, these replaced a similar building dating back to the reign of Henry VIII.
Although most folk overlook the city in favour of the popular Lake District it does have plenty to offer visitors even if it is just for an hour or so between train connections.
Carlisle is still recovering from the Eden busting its banks in January 2005 with many houses in the Warwick Road area still being repaired. Lots of the city infrastructure is still running from temporary sites with the police station being most prominent.
This was a major station on the West coast line and is still impressive. Built in 1847 the 4 tracks that run thourh the... more travel advice
The cathedral was founded in 1122 and features a stunning 14th century stained glass window in the East wall. The... more travel advice
clivedinburgh's Related Pages
Carlisle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlisle - Border Town"
- "The Border City"
- "Around Carlisle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlisle
- Hotels in Carlisle
- Transportation in Carlisle
- Restaurants in Carlisle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlisle
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Carlisle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlisle
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 101 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunfermline Intro, 61 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 42 reviews, 24 photos
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Langholm Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 27 reviews, 8 photos
- Malmö Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Leith Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 20 reviews, 3 photos