"Embra - Scotlands Capital City" Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh by clivedinburgh
Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,449 reviews and 6,943 photos
As with most travellers I've always been to the touristy places when visiting somewhere but it seems a bit odd in your home town. Thanks to some impetus from VT I did make some effort to see more of the city (from the top of Arthurs Seat to the depths of Mary Kings Close).
I have learned so much about Edinburgh whilst researching these pages and I hope you bear with some of my more historical ramblings. Also note that many people visiting Edinburgh will stay in Leith so check out my pages for there too.
Most people love the smell of Edinburgh, I always take a big lungfull whenever I return and it's a great feeling.
The smell is derived from the processes taking place in the ever diminishing breweries that are dotted around the city. I'm sure that the local council will attempt to re-produce this smell if the breweries disappear altogether. Latest to go was the Fountainbridge Brewery in Jan 2006 to end nearly 150 years on this site. Caledonian are the only large brewer now left in the city. See their explanation of why our beers are called 70' or 80' (shilling).
Because of this the city is known as Auld Reekie (old smelly as a rough translation).
I've a silly amount of bars on these pages now and shall attempt to keep them up to date which is a bit difficult since I'm now living over the bridges in Fife.
Read the things to do tips for proposed routes then the nightlife tips for a more indepth take on the venues.
By the way, lots of bars & clubs in Edinburgh are in basements or buildings with very thick walls which usually means you cannot get a phone signal inside therefore you get lots of folk standing in the cold. These will now be joined by the smokers following a ban on smoking in enclosed spaces in Scotland.
- Pros:Plenty to be getting on with
- Cons:Never enough time
- In a nutshell:Best place tae live in aw the wurld
I visited this place during a day out with my mother a few years ago but didn't realise that I'd not written it up. We... more travel advice
I've been up Arthurs Seat a few times with the last being the most memorable. There are numerous routes to the summit... more travel advice
- See All Shopping areas
- See All Float across the sea on a bed of air
- See All Walking Tours
- Driving in the centre
- See All The auld King
clivedinburgh's Related Pages
Edinburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Edinburgh Travel - A Special City - A Special View"
- "Scotland's Capital City"
- "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- "A guide to Edinburgh dining & nightlife"
- "Edinburgh - the capital of Scotland"
- "Opera and Graduation in Edinburgh"
- "The highs and lows of the 7 hills..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Edinburgh
- Hotels in Edinburgh
- Transportation in Edinburgh
- Nightlife in Edinburgh
- Restaurants in Edinburgh
- Shopping in Edinburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Edinburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Edinburgh
- 101 Reviews
- 126 Photos
- 144 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Edinburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Edinburgh
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Using car Harman (Nuvi) for..."
- updated a Edinburgh Travel Page "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Embra - Scotlands Capital City"
- Wrote a Review Roslin Chapel about Rosslyn Chapel in Edinburgh Things to Do
- Commented on one of susancallus's Edinburgh travel pages
Photos in EdinburghSee All Photos (126)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh Intro, 101 reviews, 126 photos
- Dunfermline Intro, 61 reviews, 73 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 42 reviews, 24 photos
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Langholm Intro, 20 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Glasgow Intro, 27 reviews, 8 photos
- Malmö Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Ljubljana Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Leith Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 20 reviews, 3 photos