"Embra - Scotlands Capital City" Top 5 Page for this destination Edinburgh by clivedinburgh

Edinburgh Travel Guide: 3,449 reviews and 6,943 photos

Life as a tourist.

As with most travellers I've always been to the touristy places when visiting somewhere but it seems a bit odd in your home town. Thanks to some impetus from VT I did make some effort to see more of the city (from the top of Arthurs Seat to the depths of Mary Kings Close).

I have learned so much about Edinburgh whilst researching these pages and I hope you bear with some of my more historical ramblings. Also note that many people visiting Edinburgh will stay in Leith so check out my pages for there too.

Smell the air in Auld Reekie

Most people love the smell of Edinburgh, I always take a big lungfull whenever I return and it's a great feeling.

The smell is derived from the processes taking place in the ever diminishing breweries that are dotted around the city. I'm sure that the local council will attempt to re-produce this smell if the breweries disappear altogether. Latest to go was the Fountainbridge Brewery in Jan 2006 to end nearly 150 years on this site. Caledonian are the only large brewer now left in the city. See their explanation of why our beers are called 70' or 80' (shilling).

Because of this the city is known as Auld Reekie (old smelly as a rough translation).

Nights on the town

I've a silly amount of bars on these pages now and shall attempt to keep them up to date which is a bit difficult since I'm now living over the bridges in Fife.

Read the things to do tips for proposed routes then the nightlife tips for a more indepth take on the venues.

By the way, lots of bars & clubs in Edinburgh are in basements or buildings with very thick walls which usually means you cannot get a phone signal inside therefore you get lots of folk standing in the cold. These will now be joined by the smokers following a ban on smoking in enclosed spaces in Scotland.

• Pros:Plenty to be getting on with
  • Cons:Never enough time
  • In a nutshell:Best place tae live in aw the wurld
  • Intro Updated Jun 25, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Nice page!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM

I can understand how it must feel for all to be labelled UK. A lot of history lost in a label. Marg

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 6:59 AM

Really helpful pages Clive. I'm going to Edinburgh in a couple of weeks and can't wait to try out some of these bars! Thanks, Beth :-)

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Great stuff, Clive. I have just started you pages and a couple of others. I can hardly wait to get back to Edinburgh next spring or fall. It is my favorite city in the world.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 9:42 PM

Very impressive! I wish I could go there too!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2006 at 2:48 PM

Nice tips esp rare sunny days = any time I visited this great city the sun shone

• lou31's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 11:35 PM

Enjoyed reading about this famous city. I was there this time last year and hope to return. Thanks for sharing!

• supercarys's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 11:48 PM

lots of great tips here, some of the best I've seen.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2006 at 8:48 AM

Very informative and well-presented. The bus terminus has changed completely since I was there. Good transport tips!

• babettu's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 12:13 PM

Good old memories of Edinburgh Castle. Greetings from Malta

clivedinburgh Used To Live Here!

clivedinburgh

“You'll ay forget somit so dinna worry about it”

Badges & Stats in Edinburgh

Have you been to Edinburgh?

Latest Activity in Edinburgh