"Early Years in the Muckle Toon" Langholm by clivedinburgh

Langholm Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 53 photos

Bonnie Langholm, Flower of Eskdale

Langholm is located at the junction of three rivers (Esk, Wauchope & Ewes) that carve it into two parts (Old & New towns) and surrounded by four hills (two of which are built on). The A7 runs through the town forming the High Street where most of the shops are located. The population is remains steady around 2500-3000 therefore most folk know each other. All are keen to welcome visitors to the town.

Famous locals are

Thomas Telford (from slightly up the Esk valley) who built the main bridge in the town as well as many others around the country and has a road in the town named after him.

Hugh MacDairmid who was a celebrated poet comemorated by a memorial on Whita Hill.

Growing up in Langholm

It never seemed like it at the time but this is an great place to grow up. The school facilities were basic (have improved dramatically nowadays) but we benefited from teachers who were keen to get out of the cities and teach less unruly kids.

After school & on Saturdays I used to deliver groceries (messages in langholmite) on a trusty old bike, we were one of the few towns left in Scotland that maintained this free service (most shops had at least on message boy) and I even got a centre page article in the Sunday Post. Evenings were spent playing 20 a side football games around the flower beds in the park and walking the many trails to be found on the surrounding hills.

I had a large variety of interest as a youth but never really got hooked on any so it's lucky that I was kept busy when I left town at 16 to join the RN. My parents moved away in 89 but I have always kept in close touch with my old school mates (lots of people find this strange) and I'm always welcomed back whenever I visit.

There's a wee bit toon (auld folk tune)

This is one of my favourite songs from the many local ones that are sung around Common Riding

There's a wee bit toon on the Borders,
That my heart fair langs to see,
Where youthful days I wander'd,
Knowing ev'ry bank and brae;
O'er the hills and thro' the valleys,
Thro' the woodlands wild and free,
Thro' the narrow "Straits" and loanings,
There my heart fair langs to be.

chorus

Oh, for a glint o' the dear auld haunts o' hame,
For a hunt thro' the heather o'er the hill;
There's a spot supremely blest,
Sweeter spot than a' the rest,
There's a wee bit toon that lies near Whita Hill.

Here o'er the seas I strain my eyes,
Where the circling sea-birds cry,
And sih for a glint o' the hameland,
And scenes of auld days lang by,
I ken folk look and wonder,
But they do not hear like me,
The calls of the hills of Eskdale,
Coming o'er the alien sea.

There are hames o' my ain folk,
And the auldest frien's are best;
For the new anes are just on trial,
And the hame-sick ne'er can rest,
Oh, the hills o' hame are calling,
And my heart would fain obey;
But duty is always duty,
Though my heart be far away.

• Pros:Beautiful scenery with clean air
  • Cons:Can be too quiet for some
  • In a nutshell:The Muckle Toon
  • Last visit to Langholm: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2006

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM

well it is a great little place

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Nice little page Clive. I like the hill scenery, and Samyé Ling looks very exotic for this part of the world! Never know EWM started here either

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 12:12 PM

Happy birthday. A great part of the world, this.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2007 at 6:34 AM

Nice little tour around Langholm. And interesting to see where the EWM originated...I liked those stores... Very good pictures too...cheers

• May 12, 2006 at 12:28 PM

I take it you will be in the Muckle Toon on the last Friday in July, as I and hundreds of other Teris will be - it is the 2nd best day of the year after the first Friday after the first Monday in June!!!!

• zizkov's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2006 at 5:06 PM

You were in the centre of The Post? Jings, crivvens, help ma boab!

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2006 at 12:41 PM

Looks like a great spot to get a good start in life. Thanks for sharing.

clivedinburgh Used To Live Here!

clivedinburgh

“You'll ay forget somit so dinna worry about it”

Badges & Stats in Langholm

Have you been to Langholm?

Latest Activity in Langholm