"Village in Prlekija" Krizevci pri Ljutomeru by picek
Krizevci pri Ljutomeru Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 19 photos
This is quite big village nowsadays, it's main attraction are the church and horses.
In the past the main income of locals was farming, but since this work isn't popular anylonger more of people are working in bigger towns in region.
Apiculture (beekeeping) is still quite common in the area so you might come across some good and healthy honeys.
People here like to drink wine, preferably with slatina (mineral water). If you can, order local wines in restaurants - most owners have wine cellar somewhere near. If you are offered wine by someone local, don't hesitate to try - these wines are made of 'wild' grapes adapted to local ecological conditions and don't need much spraying.
If you want to try local foods - like elswhere in Prlekija - you should have some krapci (layer cake made of buckwheat dough and cottage cheese), kvasenica (this is made of wheat dough and and cottage cheese on the top), postr?jača (it looks like large flat bread with greaves and garlic on the top), prle?ka gibanica (this is more complicated and sweet sweet layer cake) and tunka.
Tunka used to be way of conserving meat in past. Nowsadays they don't do it that often since most people can buy their meats in the shops and mostly bigger farmers grow pigs; in past every house had a pig or more. Originally they cut the pigs meat into smaller pieces, smoked it upon the open fire until it got dry and then put that meat and sausages into big container (originally wooden) which they filled with minced lard. It was then put in cold place and they kept this meat until next season. Like elswhere in the world you couldn't eat meat everyday unless you were very rich (but if you can eat meat every day nowsadays it doesn't mean you're rich; if you buy organic vegetables and feed on that - then you're rich because it's much more expensive than meats. In past it was quite opposite and all food you grew was organic). Tunka meat is often available at better local restaurants. If you want lard, just say for 'zobl' (zaseka in slovene) and bread.
If you like lighter food, try soup called 'krompirof gula?' - it's potao gulyas.
... horse is man's best friend here.
They get the best food and treatment. Yes, they're better treated than dogs. But that's another story.
- Pros:church, old houses, horses
It seems like we have nowsadays kind of revival of old Christian and Pagan holidays, maybe as a result of turning into... more travel advice
Not only bad things vanish, also fine traditions are endangered. These traditional houses became rare but even with them... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Krizevci pri Ljutomeru Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru
- Nightlife in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru
- Restaurants in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru
- Warnings and Dangers in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Krizevci pri Ljutomeru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru
- Posted in Travel Slovenia Forum "Re: Any recommendations as to..."
- Commented on one of picek's Krizevci pri Ljutomeru travel pages
- Wrote a Review holiday for a horse and a man - Saint Stefans day in Krizevci pri Ljutomeru Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "holiday for a horse and a man - Saint Stefans day"
- updated a Krizevci pri Ljutomeru Travel Page "Village in Prlekija"
Photos in Krizevci pri LjutomeruSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues