"another capital of wine and festivals" Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor by picek
Maribor Travel Guide: 364 reviews and 916 photos
In heart of Maribor see old architecture and squares. This is where city history begins, once upon the time enclosed by medieval walls and penetrated by narrow passages leading to river Drava.
Of course first settlers were known to the area long before Middle ages, yet there is little left... traces what and who used to dwell in the area can be found in the Regional museum with thier artefacts. Hence, these are 'only' traces - important ones.
The river has been for long time in history important transport route - now limited with many dams it cannot serve that purpose anymore.
Maribor is this year European Capital of Culture which extensive list of events bring new fresh creative energy into city on a daily level. This is relief! A glamorous opera on one side, micro urban actions on other - but both related by the festive spirits of city! Many people come to mingle on different locations, city gets lots of visitors from other part of countries and abroad.
If you haven't visited Maribor before, even if you did, this is trully the best time to visit - or revisit. Let's raise the glass to creativeness, let's celebrate!
Other than that:
... see Maribor at its best: just walk the old town or markets or go to city parks and nearby vineyards. Once again you'll see that Stajerc (a Styrian man) is not shy of good wines and they proud themselves of the oldest 'black velvet' vine in the world! Celebrating st. Martin day in November on the squares - well, that's a holiday of great importance - and to many, even more important than a new year.
Vines grow here since Roman times, but there must be something in Slavic soul here they worship it 'till nowsadays. In past clergy kept large wine cellars underground, true labyrinths - kept in most secret of all places, yet right under squares.... who'd thought about it then? And nowsadays you can try Vinag's tour to see these cellars.
What else makes Maribor famous in the world? It would be ski competition or Golden fox. But since I am not fan of that sport I cannot say much of it. Whole slope of the ski line shines like diamond in winter and can be seen many kilometers away (then you know that they're having night skiing at least).
On the height of develpoment Maribor was strongest of Yugoslav cities with many factories which exported their products and workers abroad, also to many 'unlisted' countries and no wonder that sometimes Libian will know more about Maribor than French. If these weren't Maribor most optimistic ages?
Yes... it was those days when Maribor was known as Manchester of Yugoslavia.
I can only say: even though it's not glamourous city, even though it's one typical Central European post communist-shaped, (ex)industrial place, come and let yourself get surprised.
Visit on occasional festival, or by chance of trying something different from typical Slovenian tourist routes... there are plenty things Maribor offers.
Mine site is just pale shade of trying to present a little tiny part, though I guess I will be constantly trying to add more things, if I only have enough time, inspiration to write and camera ready.
- Pros:when rest of country is in fog, Maribor is not (in general speaking: Drava winds keep clarity)
- Cons:fist sights of suburbs make you sceptic
- In a nutshell:go and have very good fun
Negova is cute little village with noble castle and historic centre with a small square and church on a top of little... more travel advice
The main information centre forEuropean Capital of Culture (ECOC) is located in a red and black box, a little by the... more travel advice
- See All entering our relative worlds
- See All why to visit Tourist Information Centre
- See All travel by bus from Maribor ... to...
picek's Related Pages
Maribor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "another capital of wine and festivals"
- "Maribor - Slovenia's #2"
- "Old Vine, good Wine and a good Time"
- "Mariborsko Pohorje - skiing down to the city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maribor
- Hotels in Maribor
- Transportation in Maribor
- Nightlife in Maribor
- Restaurants in Maribor
- Shopping in Maribor
- Warnings and Dangers in Maribor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maribor
- 46 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Maribor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maribor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues