"in Thakhek" Khoueng Khammouan by picek
Khoueng Khammouan Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 58 photos
Thakhek is relaxed town by the Mekong river. It's not yet the most crowded with visitors but I bet it will change soon. But for now you can still enjoy the privilege of paying high prices for rent-a-bike service, some corruption, and so-so accomodation.
Food in Thankhek: it's delicious. When did you last time eat large meal with a fish, full of lemon grass hanging from its mouth and salted around and around - with sticky rice and chilli sauce? If you're reading this page before you go there, that's a thing you must try... preferably from a market by Mekong or market by Buddha cave. If you've already been there and didn't try you don't know what you've missed.
Local snack to try is Khao nom pad - it's sticky, black and sweet.
Scenery near Thakhek, the provincial capital .... give yourself a stop in that wonderful place. It's nicer than you think :)
The best way to get around is to hire your own motorbike and you'll be having great time exploring the landscape, village life and stupas.
And this is in Thakhek - remaining colonial houses. Some people like them. In fact, they're quite many but some are in very bad shape. I think Thakek looks similar to Kampot in Cambodia.... the way the city was designed by French.
- Pros:landscape, caves, ancient stupas, good fish
- Cons:it's very hot place
A man can be only ambivalent about this but what can you do... Nam Theun 2 has been funded from foreign investment as... more travel advice
If only words could be enough to express my experience... but let's put it simple: it's unique cave. Unique in terms of... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Khoueng Khammouan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Khoueng Khammouan
- Hotels in Khoueng Khammouan
- Transportation in Khoueng Khammouan
- Nightlife in Khoueng Khammouan
- Restaurants in Khoueng Khammouan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khoueng Khammouan
- 25 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Khoueng Khammouan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khoueng Khammouan
- Posted in Travel Laos Forum "Re: is it safe as a single female..."
- Commented on one of picek's Khoueng Khammouan tips
- Wrote a Review Nam Theun 2 Visitors centre in Khoueng Khammouan Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Nam Theun 2 Visitors centre"
- updated a Khoueng Khammouan Travel Page "in Thakhek"
Photos in Khoueng KhammouanSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues