"city at foot of Mecsek hill and Baranya capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs by picek
Pecs Travel Guide: 324 reviews and 803 photos
Cold winters are best spent in warm places, but if this isn't possible, in interesting cities and caves.
Pecs as an ex-cultural capital of Europe in 2010 and one of the largest Hungarian cities has abundance of things to explore.... charming streets and squares and hills, ceramics, good wines and nice foods, it's a vibrant town of great historic diversity.
It lays in the area inhabited for at least 6000 years as the archeology suggests, different tribes settled laters as well (Illyrian, Panonians, Celtic) and during Roman era it had gained important status in province of Panonnia - it was flourishing commercial town named Sopianae.
Names later changed, of course. Owners of the destiny, too... that's why you'll see all the spectrum from early Christian era (Unesco listed sites) through Ottoman... through communist-shaped... till recent, modern architecture. And ruins. Artefacts in museums.
So, to cut the long and very rich history short: have a look at the web site for detailed information and fetch the Pecsi guidebooks from few of the bookshops in town. Unfortunatelly, most detailed written document/ things are always in a native languages, so learn Hungarian very well... (or don't) or simply .... take what it offers in books and brochures and most importantly by your sensual perception.
For start, look here - the site is multi-lingual:
Updated events happening in Pecs can be found at that address:
If it appears a little difficult to grasp virtual reality to follow the events, you can fetch printed Mag in English called Time Out in Pecs, normally available at hotels or frequented tourist spots.
Nevertheless, you can make personal contact with Tourism information centre of Pecs either by visitng their office or their site, they're helpful people.
They say Ppecs has one of the best climates in country and I am glad to belive it till next time I visit - winter is just as cold as anywhere else in Central Europe with Mecsek hill perfectly covered with snow layer.
A thing tempting in that time of a year: visit to spa in nearby places! Thermal water of the deep Panonnian underworld has been long known for their medicinal and relaxation properties - and as you indulge with it, you're intimately in touch with ancient Panonnian sea. Really.
We managed to return to Pecs for our second time at turn of the year of 2011 into 2012, and yet... I am leaving so many things for another visit!
I am impressed by creative energy of the town.
I feel more optimism, but of course things are not only black and white.
- Pros:one of 'must sees' in Hungary!
- Cons:many sights closed in winter, but let's go back one day...
- In a nutshell:with great reason it was declared 'cultural capital' - this charming Panonnian city
Behind baroque facades of houses at Esze Tamas (the small street between Cathedral and Barbican) the city of Pecs gives... more travel advice
This little restaurant is located by the main road behind Zsolnays factory, the one that bypass Mausoleum. It is one of... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Pecs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "city at foot of Mecsek hill and Baranya capital"
- "A true, historic, European city!"
- " Pécs, my beautiful home town "
- "The Turkish South"
- "Pécs European Capital of Culture 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pecs
- Hotels in Pecs
- Transportation in Pecs
- Nightlife in Pecs
- Restaurants in Pecs
- Shopping in Pecs
- Warnings and Dangers in Pecs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pecs
- 51 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Pecs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pecs
Photos in PecsSee All Photos (140)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues