"a world between grain of sand and majestic rock" Dugi Otok by picek
Dugi Otok Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 67 photos
Man's first thoughts about Dugi otok when digging into personal memory are streched roughly between cliffs of Telašćica, and legendary sandy beach of Sakarun. Near, the Northwestern tip of an island is crowned with a work of man which manifests itself in a form of gigantic light house at Veli rat, the highest on Adriatic coast. All the rest are variety of landscapes between two extremes. Having said that, they're worth exploring too.
No big towns here, but both ends along the longest distance of the island are connected by a main road with little traffic. Side roads are even more lonely, ending at remote corners. Peace prevails and sound of wildlife and crushing waves enters ear gently.
While drinking water is extremely precious comodity brought to island from continent, the sea water is here in abundance, fishes too. Due its rugged coastline at most of length, Dugi otok offers of best places for snorkelling, fishing, diving, sailing, swimming in Europe. It has famous caves, too and it shares local knowledge and wisdom with traveller through its tiny lovely library, music and festivals. The fruit it bears are rare but of wonderful textures and rich by taste, to tell simple and short.
They pride it as undiscovered long island, and yes, long it is and there are plenty of places worth discovering, some remote and other easily reachable.
- Pros:amazing landscapes, stunning views over crystal clea sea and drama of sunset
- Cons:there are no camps so it's not the best budget choice, but if you wanna risk... then sleep on the beaches
- In a nutshell:there's whole set of sceneries between cliffs and sandy beaches
Uf, if you're not prepared and you let windows open there are chances that mosquitos will eagerly drink your blood... more travel advice
Like to other islands, transport to Dugi otok is carried by Jadrolinija and there are both ferries if you go by car or... more travel advice
- where to buy your groceries...
- sea feeds you
- never too late to visit Libraries
- See All Sali, the biggest town on Dugi otok
picek's Related Pages
Dugi Otok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "a world between grain of sand and majestic rock"
- "LONG ISLAND - VERY LONG ONE!"
- "Dugi otok from Saharun to Sali"
- "The biggest cliff in Croatia"
- "Dugi Otok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dugi Otok
- Hotels in Dugi Otok
- Transportation in Dugi Otok
- Restaurants in Dugi Otok
- Shopping in Dugi Otok
- Warnings and Dangers in Dugi Otok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dugi Otok
- 25 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Dugi Otok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dugi Otok
Photos in Dugi OtokSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues