"A trully sensual place: too blue to be true." Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park by picek
Mljet National Park Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 125 photos
I find Mljet like a jewel in the Adriatic and its National park is paralleled to paradise when you're there after main season yet in warm time of a year.
Mljet in general has no large towns, no yet that type of (mass) tourism that happened in other places along the Adriatic coast from Italy to Monte Negro and resulted in over-built up areas that took best locations by the sea, privatized access of once common coast ... and best views along elevated slopes, it has no large camps or very big hotels, we didn't see resorts either, it has modest nightlife and as well a little traffic on the roads and limited public transportation.
National park is trully enchanting place, a combination of the preserved traditional settlements (like Govedjari), and nature of explicit beauty, one almost intact. Nevertheless, National park is the most visited area on Mljet naturally, which in peak of season gets hundreds of visitors whom may come on a day trip from other places (Polace is reachable by katamaran - passenger ferry from Dubrovnik in less than 2 hrs) or stay here many days longer. It has been visited by worlds top celebrities, tycoons, politicians and commoner like you and me, and yes... there are so many reason to simply like that place and fall in love with it at first sight :) So good to take endless strolls or active walks here when you're all soaked in colors and fragrances and natural sounds.
I guess September was for me best time I could choose but the first weather changes reminded here is autumn to come as well very soon.
Greatest charachteristic of NP are its two salt lakes (in fact, they are not really lakes but something like very enclosed gulf or fjord with sea water inside) which in Croatian are Veliko and Malo slano jezero - the large one has iconic Saint Mary (Sv. Marija) island with Benedictine monastery, and round lakes hectares of Aleppo pines forest growing everywhere from the water edge till the tops of mountains.
All information regarding the park, its flora and fauna, rules for visitors and ticket information can be found from the park official web site here
Now, after winer had hit my land those Mljet landscapes eternaly come back to me in a dream and in moments before sleep.
Therefore, the only 'cure' is to know that one day you will return.
- Pros:Mljet will put a spell upon body and soul - it's all naturally colored and not yet destroyed by developers
- Cons:you have to walk around - but no problem, distances are not that difficult to cover
- In a nutshell:It is amazing place to visit in Europe - if you have seen Mljet, you've seen them all (kidding - kind of)
One way or other you'll eventually notice the Small bridge which is between Big and Small lake, upon a channel that... more travel advice
Why market feel? Because main street is like many Croatian coastal towns where one part of the place sells 'usual'... more travel advice
- See All Spilja, the cave near Soline
- populated by giant jellyfish
- lots of messages on the papers
picek's Related Pages
Mljet National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trully sensual place: too blue to be true."
- "Mljet National Park Accommodation and Valk Arround"
- "NATIONAL PARK ISLAND MLJET"
- "Don't skip beautiful Mljet..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mljet National Park
- Hotels in Mljet National Park
- Transportation in Mljet National Park
- Restaurants in Mljet National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mljet National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mljet National Park
- 23 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Mljet National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mljet National Park
Photos in Mljet National ParkSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues