"footprints in the sand" Otok Susak by picek
Otok Susak Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 15 photos
Definitely unique island in the Adriatic - both in terms of people and landscape. Leave your car parked early morning in Mali Lošinj and take 6 am catamaran to Susak and you'll have it for the whole day. Waters surrounding it are clear as you can only wish and the corridors in a sand are tempting, if not mysterious.
There's only one village and a cemetery - the village being separated into lower and upper part, connected by a shaded path and stairs.
Reading the family names on tombs at the cemetery reveals only a few families whose ties were closely connected in few different ways and created unique situations.
Sand is the main material of which island is formed. There are no cars, just mopeds and tractors. Few sandy beaches, one straight in the village ... it comes as contrasty image towards conservative settlers.
Network of narrow and deep corridors were dug in the sand and as times modernise they are out of use and were succeeded by grasses, at parts swallowed by sand. Take a step in this dark humid universe of historic paths leading from one end to other. This is trully special way of conectedness within Adriatic islands.
There's one page that comes very helpful for gathering information on Susak:
If anyone's recommended to read (while on-line!), it's that one.
And I just want to add that mine is just a drop in the sea, more like a little personal memoir to some place I love.
- Pros:excellent beaches and clean water
- Cons:takes a bit logistics to arrive at Susak
- In a nutshell:discover the mysterious island, it's real unique place
... and mopeds are able to drive on the island. The place is off the limit for cars which makes it great to explore on... more travel advice
As soon as you set a foot on the ground, you will spot unusal hills behind a village - they're of sand and covered with... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Otok Susak Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Otok Susak
- 8 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Otok Susak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otok Susak
Photos in Otok SusakSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues