"Trips to Varazdin" Varazdin by picek
Varazdin Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 378 photos
It takes roughly one hour to get there by car from Ljutomer. You cross the border at Ormoz, pass the Drava bridge and you're in Croatia. I always liked it there, the misty Drava river and beautiful biotopes linked to the water. It's Pannonian plain, flat land, lots of fields and typical villages. Even few gipsy villages, different culture, something that reminds of Asia... in a way. It's unusual in its own substance, but it's nice.
It takes a bit more than hour driving on highway from zagreb (hour and half, on average speed) or some 3 hours if you take a train Zagreb - Varazdin because train will go through hilly Zagorje. Depends on your priority, take either way. Actually you don't need to drive by highway either because old regional road goes paralell to highway and it's more pleasant, pass many villages and towns.
Reason to go to Varazdin: cemetery (Gradsko groblje), Korzo, bakeries, castle, culture, spancirfest... lots of baroque architecture and pleasant squares. All vibrant. To keep the list short.
Varazdin has lively atmosphere, it's one of the nicest cities in Croatia; you don't really have to limit your visit only to historic core. Just think of Drava, it moves lazily through landscape and has to be visited for birds and fishing. Especially in the border areas.
Another reason why to go off the city (after you've well seen it) - the old landscape park in Vinica, Opeka (see pics taken in autumn in my travelogue). It used to be really famous - and it still is, despite problems. Trees and paths won't disappoint you, I dare to say.
So, you have plenty of reasons why to visit East Croatia. Here true Pannonian men live, and it makes a difference to what you will experience at coast or Zagreb. Real difference, I mean.
You may as well wish to come back... yet it won't be exactly on the beaten path.
There's something about those Croatian Pannonians!
- Pros:cemetery, castle, spancirfest, Opeka
Fist burials at Varazdin cemetery (Varazdinsko groblje) date back to 1773 and it was long time an ordinary place untill... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Varazdin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Pearl of Northern Croatia"
- "VARAZDIN - The Baroque city"
- "Varazdin, city of the north"
- "Welcome to the Town of Croatian Baroque !"
- "The Sampsons in Varazdin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varazdin
- Hotels in Varazdin
- Transportation in Varazdin
- Nightlife in Varazdin
- Restaurants in Varazdin
- Shopping in Varazdin
- Warnings and Dangers in Varazdin
- See All...
Explore the World
- Creeslough Hotels
- Oyster Bay Hotels
- Jerez de la Frontera
- Dahilayan Hotels
- Galewela Hotels
- Gaba Hotels
- Puerto Princesa
- Machu Picchu
- Monument Rocks National Natural Landmark Hotels
- Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
Badges & Stats in Varazdin
- 3 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Varazdin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varazdin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Varazdin hotel reviews
- Turist Hotel
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013