"paradise for fishermen and bird watching" Vransko Jezero by picek
Vransko Jezero Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 13 photos
It makes for an excellent area to explore, just a stone throw away from the Adriatic coast in Northern Dalmatia. Yet Vrana lake waters are brakish and its fish fauna grows to admirable size, most notably - a carp and a pike! And yes, they're so abundant that they are more than enough of them for birds and men to eat. It's easy catch. Even if you lack serious fishing skills and patience, 'šaran' or 'štuka' evetually catch the bait within some time.
But other than that, this place is paradise for birds and only second most important bird location in Croatia, right after Kopački rit by Danube! About 250 different bird species were counted here and between August and September, the ornithologists will put rings on their legs. A visit to their station is a must for those interested in birds. Great people they are to talk with and with stories full of passion for birds and trully devoted to nature protection. On the several locations by the lake, there are birdwatching huts, from there you can catch some good views over the area, but also you let the birds undisturbed. Just be patient.
If you've got a bike, you can do cycling around the lake, choose nice spot and swim where allowed, the shore is diverse from rocky till swampy - here overgrown with thick reeds and plenty of birds nesting, a place where you won't distrub them.
Recently a great scale map was released and it's good to have one - they're distributed for free, so take one before you head to Vrana lake!
Explore this beautiful location, it will take so little to bring a smile on your face, especially when your eyes rest on sight of cloud of birds, or ... like I noticed once, swimming harmless lake snake.
- Pros:birds, fishes, excellent hiking and cycling
- Cons:what to do with carp too big?
- In a nutshell:one of trully magical lakes, yet so off the beaten paths - and despite being only few hundred meters from the sea!
Around Vrana lake there is abundance of ruins from different historic periods, and ruin of a church at Crkvine has its... more travel advice
You can have a look of Biograd (several km from the lake Vrana) which is now modern tourist town with many camps and... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Vransko Jezero Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Vransko Jezero
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Vransko Jezero?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vransko Jezero
Photos in Vransko JezeroSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues