"stones well beaten and sounds of the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar by picek
Zadar Travel Guide: 399 reviews and 1,333 photos
Zadar has been populated since pre-historic times and what impresses its visitor most is the continuity of its story... there are visible artefacts and witnesses of entire 'life span' of the city, compacted, layered one upon another or cohabiting together in their diversity: from remains in museums, through Roman forum, mediaeval constructions and fragmented ruins, Renaissance moats and buildings, real-socialist blocks, war scars, to latest achievments in the modern urban design and finally, the facets of the globalistion manifested in everywhere-the-same-malls, a modern shopping temples.
But we loved going to Zadar once and then return ever since when situation allowed. For what is the most precious about it - reason simple enough! We love its atmosphere and easy goingness, Mediterranean creativity, spending time outdoors, sipping coffee among locals in ground floors of cafes in its block modelled quarters where common Zadrians hang out, gossiping, talking politics, basketball, everyday situations... while dog of someone sit patiently next to tables, raising head every now and then, and mums with babies pass by, sit down with friends for moments of leasure, while child sleeping. Or we loved joining in observation of a group of wedders, standing by side, absorbing the air full of promises and joy, no matter how temporary it may really be, hey, it's just people in their happiest moments, singing merriest songs of love and wine and drinking. Let it last!
They do say that Zadar is city with soul, others exclaimed Zadar has the nicest sunset in the world - so many superlatives about one place. Admitedly... there's something about the city. And it makes us come back, for one reason or another. Therefore I shall update this page now and then, depending on tides of my trips to Zadar.
For all relevant information on Zadar please visit their excellent Tourist board web site here:
Zadar tourist union
There are loads of information also from tourist brochures (head to local travel agencies or tourist help desk in Zadar) and written in books.
- Pros:some of the historically most diverse cities of Croatian coast
- Cons:their bus station is 'lovely' - but go there for atmosphere
- In a nutshell:city with thousands years of history - sometimes disrupted violently, but then... it rose from the ashes as Phoenix... yet again, and agian...
When it was hard to find something opened on Easter Sunday for a lunch, and market was closed too, we had walked some... more travel advice
Since I yet have to find the place to write on bars I will make notice here, because this one was outstanding, comparing... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Zadar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "stones well beaten and sounds of the sea"
- "City with a Soul"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zadar
- Hotels in Zadar
- Transportation in Zadar
- Nightlife in Zadar
- Restaurants in Zadar
- Shopping in Zadar
- Warnings and Dangers in Zadar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zadar
- 35 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Zadar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zadar
Photos in ZadarSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues