"water playgrounds. home of witches" Obcina Cerknica by picek
Obcina Cerknica Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
For easier orientation for non-familiar with Slovenia, Cerknica is to the South West of Slovenia, in Notranjska region.
World class unique natural wonders are on display for curious explorers: the largest Slovenian lake, phenomenal Cerkniško jezero, whose water disappears entierly through deep underground network of tunnels once a year, and it reappears again with full force. It is world of contrasts and a place of extreme beauty and landscape diversity.
Prior to your planned visit, do take time and open their web site whcih will provide you with all information here:
Another 'wonder' is the magic mountain above the lake, Slivnica. Legend says the mountain is home of the witches and past people saw them flying above in the syk and were deeply scared of the population of these 'wierd' women living so close.
One such occasion when witches come close to persons can be observed during 'pust v Cerknici', the Carnival of Cerknica in February... which is among those really traditional ones in Slovenia. If you're a bit of ethnologist yourself, then this is right time to visit. Ancient masks and stories mark the town for few days and it's the atmosphere unforgivable to many. Discover the Pagan roots of these places.
One really interesting natural feature is the Rakov Škocjan protected area, which manifests itself with numbers of Karst phenomenas, such as caves, natural bridges, shallow rivers and thick forests.
How diverse a place in such a small area!
If you're adventurer, looking for interesting natural hotspots, nature and heritage lover, a little off the main tourist paths, then these are places worth to invest your time and energy to explore. What else can I say.... visit and you probably won't regret every extra little effort.
- Pros:unique Karst landscapes and unspoiled nature
- Cons:if youd don't have your own transport, it can be challenge to find all
- In a nutshell:one of Slovenian most intriguing sites... and only a few tourists know about it!
A highlight of a visit to a dried Cerknica 'lake' is in physical (if not psychical) contact with mouth of Earth, by us... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Obcina Cerknica Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Den Helder
- French Lick
- Rhyolite Hotels
- Bethany Beach
- Gualaceo Hotels
- Danau Tondano Hotels
- Batu Pahat
- Palma de Mallorca Hotels
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Lod Hotels
- Limone sul Garda
- Port Angeles
- Puerto Princesa
- Machu Picchu
- Fort Yargo State Park Hotels
- Australia and Oceania
Badges & Stats in Obcina Cerknica
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Obcina Cerknica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Obcina Cerknica
Photos in Obcina CerknicaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues