"vibrant evenings in Noto" Noto by picek
Noto Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 198 photos
Streets and stairways filled with people on warm evening, Noto becomes busy and lively after siesta. Many people come to sit down at this huge stair case in front of cathedral. Walk the corso and take a seat for your glass of wine, it is always pleasant to watch the streets full of life from street level.
The area of Iblean mountains was populated since prehistoric times. In 8th century BC Noto Antica was founded on ancient site which is some 13 km from present Noto by Siculi peoples. On this site you can see few ruins but not much though. Only later, after devastating earthquake in 1693 the city was reborn from nothing on nearby Meti Hill. Old Noto was reffered as Netium.
From ancient period there are remains by Greek such as wall, gymnasium and heroa worship place. Very few things were found from Roman era. During Arab times Noto had flourishing economy and town was administrative centre of Noto Valley. In that time they built strong fortress which remains can be visited on the archaeological site of Noto Antica. In 1091 Noto surreded to Normans and florished further.
New Noto therefore grew closer to Ionain coast, yet its place dominates the area on the hill from where they could control the views. It has been mainly rebuilt in baroque style - the main architects at that time were Roberto Gagliardi and Vicenzo Sinatra. During reconstruction they remained loyal to native materials and style.
Earthquakes continue to shake Sicilian soil - it is the fate they have to live with. Once again in 1990 earthquake there was serious damage in the old buildings and as a consequence the dome of Noto cathedral had collapsed after 6 years. It was long and expensive reconstruction but you can nowsadays admire the dome -with its form being similar to the old one.
- Pros:architecture, atmosphere
Those grassy slopes, large soft shapes of stones and fences of stone put one on another very tight - that makes it... more travel advice
Here at Piazza XVI Maggio in the last section of corso you will notice fine public garden Viletta d'Ercole with statues... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Noto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Noto UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Noto a small City full of history!"
- "vibrant evenings in Noto"
- "baroque's capital in south sicily"
- "Noto (1)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Noto
- Hotels in Noto
- Transportation in Noto
- Restaurants in Noto
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Noto
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Noto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Noto
Photos in NotoSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Noto hotel reviews
- Noto B&B
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2012