"2 nights in Paranaque, one out in Quezon" Manila by picek
Manila Travel Guide: 2,192 reviews and 5,472 photos
Had a night out at the concert in TEN 02 with my Filipino friends (never met them before, we were pen friends for few years before we met) in Quezon. It was amazing, great time watching youngsters dance, bands playing and we drank few beers too and some rum - had to dance too, then sitting outside at the pavement on the hot asphalt... talking till the morning and taking neck braking ride by night bus to Paranaque - where we slept in hostel.
My first impression of Manila: it is quite different from other South East Asian cities, more hectic and crazy (which I personally love), lots of people were very kind and honest. Also lots of trash were on the streets (saw rotten rat by the pavement and other things), lots of beggars and little thieves (had that experience here with 10 years old boy - he worked in gang of course and looked so friendly, 'trying to sell cigarettes while other was snatching my purse) - luckily someone saw it and we settled the matter.
There are many contrasts in this city - some you love, some you don't.
There are some huge block building which are left standing by Roxas avenue, unfinished and old churches and markets and stuff... Public transport seems hectic, very crowded (speed train), taxi drivers are friendly yet they always overcharged us (and we find it difficult to negotiate). There are huge shopping malls (got lost there when I wandered around). Air is not too good, water reclaiming projects are interesting but at big price for maritime life.
Loved the street sights in Paranaque: people fried foods, talking, playing pool, kids jumping, market shopping, greens in the gardens
Saw many Karaoke bars with girls singing... Really loved listening to carol singing around christmas...
Maybe one day i'd like to come back.
- Pros:great atmosphere,
- Cons:looks very pollluted and many homeless children
picek's Related Pages
Manila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Manila!"
- "Manila, love or hate"
- "Capital of the Philippines"
- "Aliwan Fiesta 2011: Ilonggo's Pride and Victory"
- "Love It Or Leave It..."
- "Capital City of the Philippines"
- "IMPREXXION: MANILA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manila
- Hotels in Manila
- Transportation in Manila
- Nightlife in Manila
- Restaurants in Manila
- Shopping in Manila
- Warnings and Dangers in Manila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manila
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Manila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manila
Photos in ManilaSee All Photos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues