"2 nights in Paranaque, one out in Quezon" Manila by picek

Manila Travel Guide: 2,062 reviews and 5,064 photos

Had a night out at the concert in TEN 02 with my Filipino friends (never met them before, we were pen friends for few years before we met) in Quezon. It was amazing, great time watching youngsters dance, bands playing and we drank few beers too and some rum - had to dance too, then sitting outside at the pavement on the hot asphalt... talking till the morning and taking neck braking ride by night bus to Paranaque - where we slept in hostel.

My first impression of Manila: it is quite different from other South East Asian cities, more hectic and crazy (which I personally love), lots of people were very kind and honest. Also lots of trash were on the streets (saw rotten rat by the pavement and other things), lots of beggars and little thieves (had that experience here with 10 years old boy - he worked in gang of course and looked so friendly, 'trying to sell cigarettes while other was snatching my purse) - luckily someone saw it and we settled the matter.
There are many contrasts in this city - some you love, some you don't.
There are some huge block building which are left standing by Roxas avenue, unfinished and old churches and markets and stuff... Public transport seems hectic, very crowded (speed train), taxi drivers are friendly yet they always overcharged us (and we find it difficult to negotiate). There are huge shopping malls (got lost there when I wandered around). Air is not too good, water reclaiming projects are interesting but at big price for maritime life.

Loved the street sights in Paranaque: people fried foods, talking, playing pool, kids jumping, market shopping, greens in the gardens

Saw many Karaoke bars with girls singing... Really loved listening to carol singing around christmas...

Maybe one day i'd like to come back.

• Pros:great atmosphere,
  • Cons:looks very pollluted and many homeless children
  • Last visit to Manila: Dec 2008