"Mekong in Pak Beng" Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Pak Beng by picek
Ban Pak Beng Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 119 photos
We came to Pak Beng from Oudomxay after wonderful ride with a local bus. It took few hours, it was very hot and bus was full, but it was worth to do that way. There are many nice villages between the two towns and lovely landscape in the valley of Nam Beng river with fields and forests on the hill slopes. And the road is paved, the terrain isn't that steep, so I'd say it's perfect way to do it by bycicle. There's not much traffic either.
As the Beng river gets wider and enters Mekong by Pak Beng, slopes get more and more vertical and valley gets narrower, with more forests and less villages there and almost no car. And then Pak Beng starts. I first thought it must be a joke... why there are so many guesthouses and restaurants and why there's no road further beyond Mekong as it was on many maps we came accross... Road is finished before the port, on the other side of the Mekong there are forests and a mountain and perhaps some narrow path, but it doesn't seem we can continue any way our road travel by buses or pick-ups. Anyways, we'd go by boat then, there seemed to be many.
We soon realized, that in daytime Pak Beng is a ghost town and after the boat from Huay Xay arrives it's crowded and full of tourists. In a day time you'll have to look harder for someone in restaurants to do a meal for you, and somehow they seem to prefer not to do it. We had to check several places near the port before we got something... despite many things they had on menu, we couldn't get half of what we ordered. They didn't have. And after all, it's not at all cheap place... difficult to get things here, probably, and a lot of tourists - like downtown Luangprabang and Vientiane.
There's no electricity in the town after midnight if it matters... but I cannot say that I'd like to go there again. The way was much more interesting than the end. And surrounding landscape seems beautiful, something what most tourists and backpackers will miss because they arrive in late afternoon, hungry and tired by boat (Huay Xay - Luang Prabang slow boat has to stop here overnight) and they'd leave early in the morning.
It doesn't take much walking to get off the beaten path - especially due the fact that most tourists come to Pak Beng in... more travel advice
We had a bad experience with s group of foreign 'tourists' sitting on the boat's floor in the front who didn't let other... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Ban Pak Beng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pak Beng: Rats, Opium and simplicity"
- "Mekong in Pak Beng"
- "informally yours, packbeng"
- "Overnight Stop on the Slowboat"
- "Overnight stop on the slowboat to Luang Prabang"
- "Photos of Pakbeng"
- "Pak Beng on Mekong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ban Pak Beng
- Hotels in Ban Pak Beng
- Transportation in Ban Pak Beng
- Restaurants in Ban Pak Beng
- Shopping in Ban Pak Beng
- Warnings and Dangers in Ban Pak Beng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ban Pak Beng
- 5 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Ban Pak Beng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ban Pak Beng
Photos in Ban Pak BengSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 45 reviews, 89 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 59 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues