"Back to Luang Nam Tha" Louang Namtha by picek
Louang Namtha Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 43 photos
Reflection in the water. Luang Nam Tha is mountainous province and city of same name is surrounded by hills.
Luang Nam Tha - means 'big river Tha'... and river brings life here. So let's hope it stays big and full of life. It gives name to both province and city.
LNT is one of the places that changed a lot since my first visit in 2005. Before, town was smaller with fewer brick houses, there was a small bus station next to market in town and you had fewer guesthouses - mostly centred in a street by bus station/market.
Those days in past we had hiked a lot on our own... to nearby waterfall, rice fields and villages, all so neat and nice... town was sleepy as ever but there were lots of Chinese goods and restaurants already.
Walking the LNT streets again... and I almost lost the sense I was here once before. So many things are different in a short time. The centre of town moved, bus station moved, municipality office with its propaganda tower moved. Yes, closer to the centre, indeed. Neraby hill slopes were covered by forest, now they got lots of rubber plantation and promise of better life.
Back then there was no internet connection - now there is, but it is expensive (one hour is 12 000 KIP). Thus, LNT got globally connected.
Also there the main road between China and Thailand got paved and travelling time between the countries got much shorter. Before we needed half day to get from Huay Xay to LNT, now it's only 4 hours (we were told).
Best views will be in late afternoon or early morning. Mornings are cold, though but afternoons get chilly either.
- Pros:plenty to see, landscape and people
- Cons:uncontrolled development, still very poor
- In a nutshell:famous for opium growing and mountains with hill people
About best mean to explore the area in vicinity of town is by bike. Have a ride around, visit villages and rice fields,... more travel advice
Here's warning once again - you're in province which has lots of minorities (others call them 'hill tirbes') and some of... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Louang Namtha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Back to Luang Nam Tha"
- "It´s all green in Louang Nam Tha"
- "Louang Namtha"
- "Trekking in the Luang Nam Tha Protected Area"
- "Luang Nam Tha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Louang Namtha
- Hotels in Louang Namtha
- Transportation in Louang Namtha
- Restaurants in Louang Namtha
- Warnings and Dangers in Louang Namtha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Louang Namtha
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Louang Namtha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Louang Namtha
- Posted in Travel Burma Forum "Re: Myanmar through eyes of a local"
- Commented on one of picek's Louang Namtha travel pages
- Wrote a Review get a bike, go to explore in Louang Namtha Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "get a bike, go to explore"
- updated a Louang Namtha Travel Page "Back to Luang Nam Tha"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (33)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Louang Namtha hotel reviews
- Luang Namtha Guest House
- 1 Review & Opinion