"Plain of Jars and UXO" Muang Phonsavan by picek
Muang Phonsavan Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 18 photos
It is one of the most heavily bombed areas in Lao. Phonsavanh is new city - and important one for Lao officials. Old capital was destroyed completely during 'secret war' and all what remains there from the pre-war era are a few stupas, a few war torn buildings and Buddha statue between the remains of what used to be temple.
If in PSV - you'll be most probably sightseeing Plain of Jars: there are 3 sites open to tourists and more than 50 others; all these together contain impressive number - thousands - of ancient jars which are 2500 year old. They say they used it for funerals; or the other argue they were used for storing a liquid for a giant man. Now, what is true? It is the question yet to be answered... and maybe, well, really maybe one day we will come to the end of its mystery. The stone which was used for making the jars comes from very far, it's not native from region. They say it came from China.
Add to your itinerary: visit MAG centre in the town, near Nice guesthouse and learn what has yet to be done in order to demine the area. If you can, make a donation or buy t-shirt or film - it will help them a lot.
Bombs of one kind or another are everywhere - in the names, in living rooms of guesthouses, in the exhibitions.... and worst - they're out there in fields and yards to kill.
If you watch two of the documentaries at MAG centre you will learn that abundance of UXO is the main reason for these Lao to stay very poor. There cannot be development and imporvement until there are bombs.
Look at how they are designed: in colorful shape looking like fruit they attract kids who will pick them and play with them - with fatal consequences.
Look what it means for people: they collect the metal from UXO to sell it and earn few KIP. They say that American metal is good quality one - but the price is high and cost lives.
There are UXO in school yards and in the fields. When they want to plough the ground they can hit some left there and it will be another tragic event.
There are two ancient stupas on the edge of Muang Khoun at the slope of surrounding hill. The best kept is the That Foun... more travel advice
Plain of Jars is the most common excuse to make a trip to Phonsavanh. There are 3 sites open to tourists: Site 1 is the... more travel advice
picek's Related Pages
Muang Phonsavan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Muang Phonsavan
- Transportation in Muang Phonsavan
- Restaurants in Muang Phonsavan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muang Phonsavan
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Muang Phonsavan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muang Phonsavan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues