"Plain of Jars and UXO" Muang Phonsavan by picek

Muang Phonsavan Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 17 photos

Phonesavanh

It is one of the most heavily bombed areas in Lao. Phonsavanh is new city - and important one for Lao officials. Old capital was destroyed completely during 'secret war' and all what remains there from the pre-war era are a few stupas, a few war torn buildings and Buddha statue between the remains of what used to be temple.

If in PSV - you'll be most probably sightseeing Plain of Jars: there are 3 sites open to tourists and more than 50 others; all these together contain impressive number - thousands - of ancient jars which are 2500 year old. They say they used it for funerals; or the other argue they were used for storing a liquid for a giant man. Now, what is true? It is the question yet to be answered... and maybe, well, really maybe one day we will come to the end of its mystery. The stone which was used for making the jars comes from very far, it's not native from region. They say it came from China.

Add to your itinerary: visit MAG centre in the town, near Nice guesthouse and learn what has yet to be done in order to demine the area. If you can, make a donation or buy t-shirt or film - it will help them a lot.

bomb, bombies and other disastrous legacy

Bombs of one kind or another are everywhere - in the names, in living rooms of guesthouses, in the exhibitions.... and worst - they're out there in fields and yards to kill.

If you watch two of the documentaries at MAG centre you will learn that abundance of UXO is the main reason for these Lao to stay very poor. There cannot be development and imporvement until there are bombs.
Look at how they are designed: in colorful shape looking like fruit they attract kids who will pick them and play with them - with fatal consequences.
Look what it means for people: they collect the metal from UXO to sell it and earn few KIP. They say that American metal is good quality one - but the price is high and cost lives.
There are UXO in school yards and in the fields. When they want to plough the ground they can hit some left there and it will be another tragic event.

• Last visit to Muang Phonsavan: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 17, 2009

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2013 at 2:18 AM

excellent tips on Laos

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I enjoyed reading your tips as they reminded me of the time I spent in Phonsavan on my way to Vietnam (Vinh). Well done.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Hello again, Vesna, seems like we did a lot of the same things in PSV. I can't believe we are the only two to have made pages on it. I just did mine today so hopefully ti will appear soon. fergy

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 1:23 AM

nice page. i have been there once myself and will be heading back there in february again.

• betska's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2009 at 2:38 AM

In my 3 days in Phonsavan, I ate at Nisha's for almost all of my meals. Great Indian food! still to do my pages.......

Badges & Stats in Muang Phonsavan

Have you been to Muang Phonsavan?