"... by the Song river, in the shade of mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Vang Vieng by picek
Vang Vieng Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 336 photos
YES - Vang Vieng is backpackers haven but you can do lots of things avoiding the crowds; cycle for 10 minutes and you'll find quiet and peaceful places with a few visitors. Cycle further and you'll be almost alone in breath taking landscape. There are several enclaves for drinking and party which are all very close to the town and where you can go for your piece of fun, tubing, chill out and/or meeting other foreigners. If you want you can always avoid them and see what is to see around VV.
In and around Vang Vieng you've got a lot of great restaurants having local or foreign foods so it makes it somewhat great place for exploring Lao cusine as well as sample fine foreign ones.
If you want to see caves there are plenty of them near - some over the bridge and another if you go further along rd. 13 and exit to earthern paths leading to the foot of mountian range. Caves are trully plenty and most charge 10 000 KIP for entry - beware: can be slippery inside and bring very good torch. See bats :) Only if you're experienced caver enter caves alone but always with proper equipement. People have died - local and foreign - doing it without serious thought!
... you can try this:
There are watermelons by the Road 13, sold by road stalls not that far. 4 of us were eating 10-kg heavy one. Very nice thing! Oranges growing in region are as well tasty.
To see best dried fish in Laos you can go to Tha Heua by the largest (and artificial) lake in the state which is only 25 km from VV and most buses stop there for snacks and fish shopping.
The best way to get around is by bycicle. Soon you'll be on your own. Prices for a daily rent are 10 000 KIP, for motorbike 40 000 KIP on.
If you're lucky you'll see some local festivals and then there will be lots more locals than usually. I once saw rocket festival here which was amazing - with large home made rockets, ornamented with colorful details and tapes, guys wearing funny stuff and ... lots of smoke left behind disappering rocket... nice to see.
Kids here are funny - they often say Give me one dollar and then happily stretch their hands towards 'falang' who enter their quiet villages under the shade of palm trees.
- Pros:scenery - mountain, river, caves+++ delicious foods
- Cons:mass tourism in Laos look like this
- In a nutshell:mass tourism vs. landscape
You can't miss it, they make those pancake (also called roti) in front of your eyes and fill it with what you like:... more travel advice
It used to be good place to have a lunch that Organic farm here. We would come here more than once in different line up... more travel advice
- See All drinking and tubing, not the best...
- See All by the airfiled
- bus to Phonesavanh
picek's Related Pages
Vang Vieng Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "... by the Song river, in the shade of mountains"
- "Heavenly Vang Viang"
- "peaceful Vang Vieng"
- "The Rustic Countryside of Vang Vieng"
- "Vang Vieng- Peaceful Town"
- "Hippy Haven"
- "Chill out....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vang Vieng
- Hotels in Vang Vieng
- Transportation in Vang Vieng
- Nightlife in Vang Vieng
- Restaurants in Vang Vieng
- Warnings and Dangers in Vang Vieng
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vang Vieng
- 16 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Vang Vieng?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vang Vieng
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues