"back to Vieng Chan" Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane by picek

Vientiane Travel Guide: 758 reviews and 1,707 photos

back again in 2013

Amazingly fast things turned upside down when you make comparisons between not too distant past and present of Vientiane. Well, but should we do that? When things of yesterday are irreparably fading, traditions get submerged in dusty layers of archives, getting exposed to mold, with few people bothering and wetlands get dried up... there is a hint of chaotic order in present.

And while other capitals seek refuge in high rise glass and steel buildings, there is a strong turn towards French Baroque in Vieng Chan.

And that's somehow intriguing.

NOTE about my tips: I have kept some early ones written some years ago but updated then when I had experienced a change. Some things are now gone from city but for myself this is a reminder of how fast things changed.

• Pros:That Luang, Patouxay, wat Sisakhet are some of Laos most interesting buildings
  • Cons:when it's hot... it's really hot! Plus traffic is growing, makes air thick with fumes
  • In a nutshell:give it a try, it has seen its best times but the future is unpredicteable, while the present is hectic
  • Last visit to Vientiane: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2013

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2014 at 8:06 AM

An interesting read about Vientiane which is on my 'list'!

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:31 AM

thanks... there were times when i put more effort in writing tips but i guess now there are other priorities in life, plus the winter is gone and many things happening outside and inside :) so i am glad that from time to time someone still writes a feedback on what i've done and that maybe someone will be inspired discovering something else than just main statues and buildings :) eh, good old vientiane....

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I enjoyed reading your tips on Vientiane. It still sounds like a great place to visit, even though not all the recent changes have been for the better. Too bad they have started building walled residential areas and ostentatious mansions for the rich people.

May 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Thanks Don! Well, what can we do... things change all time... even by us not always to better :) They have some good stuff in capital, indeed. Now that I see it from a few months distance I would already enjoy being there again (but for few days only, hehe... the rest I'd prefer in some NP or countryside with a lot of water).

• DennyP's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Very well written informative tips along with good pics ..extremely helpful for travellers heading to Vientiane..

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:57 AM

ThankS Denny for taking time reading those tips... glad to hear you enjoy visiting local markets, there's a lot of worthy stuff to find or see :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Nice tips!

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Thanks. I am now sitting in hot Lao capital and when I get home and back to my computer I will have a lot of work rewriting a page, since it's amazing what happens here these days (bad and good).

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Excellent tips. Thanks for sharing. And Happy Birthday!

• Nov 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM

loved your pages. do you know how we can contact sengprachanh hotel for a booking

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Enjoyed your page Picek. We will be there for 3 days late November.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Hello, Vesna! Great place to visit! Thanks for your detailed and interesting page!~><><><><><~

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2011 at 1:26 PM

My dad spent some time in Vientiane/Laos back in the early 1970s. He said it was most interesting, and that the people were warm and friendly. I think I'd like to visit there someday. Nice page.

• ozalp's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM

After reading your tip, I realized that I haven't seen much of Vientiane. My visit was just a few months before but memories are already blurred. Great pages Vesna. Thanks.

picek Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Vientiane

Have you been to Vientiane?

Latest Activity in Vientiane