"on the beach..." Chaungtha by picek
Chaungtha Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 34 photos
People choose to visit Chaunthar because of the beach. Some choose it because Ngapali is tend to be more luxuruios type of tourist town... but I don't know about there. I am not really into becahes but I wanted to see how it is on Andaman shores. Pretty good reason to make it here, then.
And what else you'll see... it's asthonishing sometimes. By the way you will see many women breaking stones into small pieces to build paved roads with bare hands, faces all wrapped into cloth and skin hidden under thick layer of thanaka.
About 10 minutes from main tourist village there will be mangrove area and another village where farmers continue their traditional living, it seems like it has nothing in common with the beach and all the tourist infrastructure, of course... it is completely different view than official postcards from guides and tourist offices in Chaungtha and Myanmar in general. The village is pleasant, shaded with large palm leaves, yet it gets dark and ways aren't lit so it is adventure walking around and at least it is very wise to have torch with you. For most of people in Myanmar/Burma this is reality.
I soaked my feet then in the shallow sea for a day, two... you had to walk quite far to swimm because it's shallow for many meters. Its sand for most of the beach (where there's beach) but if you go behind pagoda there are few straw huts with local families and military camp near. There are rocks, too, and these are very sharp.
When I went to water you cannot see these rocks...
And you get sun burned under the weak shadow of coconut tree even when you use sun block.
Lots of workers in tourist industry comes here from other states (Bangladesh, India) and other burmese provinces which gives it feel of multicultural place. Still, it seems most of tourists here were burmese with their families... went swimming in clothes. Another place where you feel comfortable dressed up from toes till head - and it makes sense because clothes protect you from blazing sun.
- Pros:cultural experience
- Cons:somehow hard to get here
- In a nutshell:go explore
picek's Related Pages
Chaungtha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the hat sellers of Chaung Tha Beach"
- "on the beach..."
- "World class beach spiced with local color"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chaungtha
- Restaurants in Chaungtha
- Warnings and Dangers in Chaungtha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chaungtha
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Chaungtha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chaungtha
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 51 reviews, 140 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 43 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 35 reviews, 105 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maribor Intro, 46 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vientiane Intro, 60 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Otok Mljet Intro, 28 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mljet National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Ljutomer Intro, 29 reviews, 55 photos
- Khoueng Khammouan Intro, 25 reviews, 58 photos, 3 travelogues