"Fujinomiya" Fujinomiya by Rabbityama
Fujinomiya Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 108 photos
Fujinomiya is one of many places to see Mount Fuji. Here you'll find hot springs and a hiking trail up Mount Fuji.
Fujinomiya is home of Taisekiji, the head temple of Nichiren Shoshu. This sect follows the teachings of Nichiren Daishonin, who they believe to be neither god nor human. They recite from the Lotus Sutra twice daily (once in the morning and once in the evening) and believe that doing good brings good. Nichiren Shoshu believers tend to devote a lot of time and thought to their faith, and they are very keen on converting others. Making their religion central to their life and attracting converts is how many believe they will reach Enlightenment. They tend to find others with the same belief and remain close to them, partly for spiritual support but also for social support.
Nichiren Shoshu does not have a good reputation among Japanese. Many believe it to be strange and cultish, perhaps similar to American views of Mormonism or Jehovah's Witness in the United States.
If you are in Fujinomiya and want to learn more about Nichiren Shoshu, the people are very happy to talk about it with you, but do be aware that many buildings are for believers only, and if you try to enter (or someone tries to take you into) the Hoando (main hall), they will even perform conversions right there.
Fujinomiya is actually quite beautiful, especially during the cherry blossom season. The temple grounds are filled with cherry blossoms, and the backdrop of Mount Fuji is a photographer's dream!
The treasure house at Taisekiji Temple is only open to believers. I am not a member of the religion, but I was able to... more travel advice
Rabbityama's Related Pages
Fujinomiya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best View of Mt fuji"
- "Really Off the Beaten Path near Mt. Fuji Area"
- "Touring Fujinomiya"
- "Taseki-Ji near Fujinamia"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fujinomiya
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Fujinomiya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fujinomiya
Photos in FujinomiyaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 173 reviews, 613 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Okayama Intro, 62 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nara Intro, 23 reviews, 83 photos
- Tsuyama Intro, 24 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Osaka Intro, 21 reviews, 65 photos
- Kurashiki Intro, 21 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pittsburgh Intro, 21 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kobe Intro, 12 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hiroshima Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue